What's new
What's new

Okuma LNC-8 Turret Clamp Issues

BASF_Ace

Plastic
Hello,

I have a 1994ish LNC-8 Lathe with an intermittent problem. The turret clamp limit switch sometimes fails to activate when the turret is indexed to Tool Post 6, 7, 8, and 9. All other turret positions work flawlessly. (I know it's the turret clamp limit switch because when it happens I go to Check Data to confirm). Needless to say I would like to get to the bottom of this as giving up a third of my available tool positions is not an option.

I tried taking the turret back cover where all the turret limit switches are located to have a look but it was sealed with silicone caulk (is that normal?) and refuses to come off. Although, because the problem only affects certain turret positions, I suspect the problem is a mechanical one, and not the limit switch itself. Perhaps some debris has worked its way in and is preventing the turret from seating properly?

Has anyone else the same problem with this lathe? I've never had to take a machine like this apart before and I'm a little bit lost.

Yes. To dealing with the silicone caulk.. 1st make sure you got all of the screws. I know. I've thought I got them all, wondered wtf, why won't this come off? Oops. Forgot a screw.. anyways if screws are all out, then a thin putty knife tapped in between the two should break it loose.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Had a similar problem on our lc20. It was a couple sticky limit switches. Sprayed some WD-40 on them and worked it in. Haven't had the problem in a while.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Finally got the turret cover off. Took a whole lot of persuading with a prybar :smoking:

I also managed to move the mounting plate for the limit switch up about 1mm so it engages the cam more positively.
Gonna run a tool change routine loop for a few hours to see if it holds up. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back