What's new
What's new

Okuma Networking Problem

Dial EDM

Plastic
Hi,

We recently purchase a new Okuma M560V CNC milling machine with the OSP P300M control.

I would like to sit at my CAD/CAM computer, create a G&M code program and save it to the MD1 directory. This works fine. I can save files in existing directories. BUT I can not create a directory! I get the error shown below. <%1 NULL-NAMEDES> is too large. If I boot the machine up and don't load the OSP software, I can create directories with no problems. So I don't believe it's a "windows" networking problem. My IT guy has identified the process running on windows that doesn't allow the creation of directories he has developed a patch work around, but I believe it should just work. From the OPS control software I can create a directory while being at the machine. I have asked the distributor about it and one of their application guys experienced it himself on our machine. He has sent the request up the ladder but a week later I have not heard if this is the way it is or if there is something wrong.

Is this the way the Okuma's work? Please advise if you have a machine with the same control.

Thanks for your help in advance.

folder-SnipImage.JPG

This is normal, nothing wrong with your setup. You will get similar errors if you attempt to save files with incompatible names (too many characters, symbols, starting with a number, etc).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, We recently purchase a new Okuma M560V CNC milling machine with the OSP P300M control.
I would like to sit at my CAD/CAM computer, create a G&M code program and save it to the MD1 directory

hy Dial :) this is a good start :)

I can not create a directory

control raises lots of restrictions, including on MD1

some application through which you explore MD1, from your pc, can ignore some of them :)

i can create folders into MD1 :) but i suggest you to avoid that, because is a not natural way to manage program files, by creating ( tree ) folders into the system device ...

maybe it seems weird, but if you start doing this you will develop an harder way for you to manage programs :) if i may, why do you need it ?

so yes, is possible, but not recomended, because may raise problems :)

He has sent the request up the ladder but a week later I have not heard ...

because you are asking about particularities that are not handled by everybody :) thus, if you receive an answer, it may be delayed and it may be about french fries :)

some application through which you explore MD1, from your pc, can ignore some of them :)

i can create folders into MD1 :) but i suggest you to avoid that, because is a not natural way to manage program files, by creating ( tree ) folders into the system device ...

maybe it seems weird, but if you start doing this you will develop an harder way for you to manage programs :) if i may, why do you need it ?

I needed it because I want it.. :)

First it's the way we do things on our Wire EDM's. Basically we have a folder for each customer, and than a sub-folder for each job or for "standard" files used for that customer.

Secondly, we like to store our programs on our equipment so that we are not relying on our network to be "available" to machine customer parts.

Thirdly, we backup our machine from time to time, both full HD image and just user file. And this is our only CNC mill we see having in the future. It will sit more than it will be used. So there's no needing the program that's on the other machine etc. We are a small shop. Hmm.. total of 2 full timers.

Could you expand on the "problems" caused?

because you are asking about particularities that are not handled by everybody :) thus, if you receive an answer, it may be delayed and it may be about french fries :)

Damn, I was at least wanting to hear networking and how I should just do it "their way". :)

there are some folders specific to the control :) just organize your stuff inside a new folder

if you wish to know more about MD1 specifics, thus accepted files, i may send you some manuals :)

however, understanding those takes time, so just consider, for your reference, that extra files inside specific control folders will reduce available memory for the control, especially on some control types :)

you should not consider the way that the control works, based on your windows experience :) think that the control is there before it got operating system ( windows ) functions :)

If you just want new directories, I don't use it but.
EDIT, New File (soft key), Dir. (soft key), name the directory your specific directory name and add programs to corresponding directories.

If you just want new directories, I don't use it but.
EDIT, New File (soft key), Dir. (soft key), name the directory your specific directory name and add programs to corresponding directories.

this is the "control way" ; you can manage this better by using a local network :)

i was looking for something this morning, and when i saw this i remembered your question : "program storage" + "operation buffer"

as you can see from attached image, allocated space is verry little compared to windows resources :)

control is not integrated inside windows; these 2 just go side by side :)

there is a tiny door that allows acces inside the control for computer aplications : API :)

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 131
I don't create directories on the control from my cad computer. I find it's easier to have my computer be the host, and have my Genos M560 just pull files directly from there.
Not sure if your way is better or not, but this way is easier for all of us.

please, how do you "pull files directly" ? :)

When you go to the program select:
Dir Display
MD1&TC (tc is the folder of programs I have on my computer) ...you may have to ---> one time to get the MD1&TC softkey
MD1 will be the left column, and TC will be the right column.
Search for the program you want to pull
hit copy
then either LEFT or MD1 and then it's now in the control.

From the IT side, if you can't rely on your network to be available to shuffle data back and forth, you or your IT guy are doing it wrong. Good network gear and cabling should be damn near bulletproof...99.99999% uptime or better, especially for internal networks.

Good network gear and cabling should be damn near bulletproof

i have simple routers and cables :) common cnc programs are not big, especially on lathes and simple operations on mills

... there is always "data pumping" for bigger programs :)

Back