Okuma OSP-P200M How To... - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Still_learning View Post
    I have manually moved the arm using the bolt on the top of the motor.
    Oh no no no no.
    You should never, ever have to do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Here's a link to my toolchange macro thread.

Okuma G111 Toolchange Macro with T0 capability

I'll update it with notes how to register it later.
    Did you ever get around to putting down the instruction for entering a Macro? I would like to try that, it may save some headache. Ive been running this machine with T#M6 and just keep track mentally of where the tool changer is and what tool is pre-staged or not. My post processor puts the G116 in automatically so I have been changing that in the code at every tool change.

Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Still_learning View Post
    Did you ever get around to putting down the instruction for entering a Macro? I would like to try that, it may save some headache. Ive been running this machine with T#M6 and just keep track mentally of where the tool changer is and what tool is pre-staged or not. My post processor puts the G116 in automatically so I have been changing that in the code at every tool change.

Thanks
    I updated it with some notes today. Let me know if you still have problems.

Okuma G111 Toolchange Macro with T0 capability

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh snap!
    I’ve been considering the purchase of an Okuma Genos M460-VE with the OSP-P200M control that is currently listed on eBay. Having gone almost completely Mazak since the early ‘90s; this post scared the crap out of me! I made the mistake of purchasing a Mori-Seiki NV-5000 with a Fanuc 18i-MB WITH Mori’s MAPPS/CAPPS system; excellent machine, mechanically speaking, and a DISASTER to program with their feeble attempt at a “shop floor programming system.” It was so bad, everyone was coordinating with one another to avoid having to use the Mori. Ended up selling the machine about a year later, having put only a couple hundred hours on it, at an astronomical loss. Point being’ I don’t want to end up in the same boat again.
    With even the older Mazatrol control systems (M-32’s and T-32’s) we program, LITERALLY, 90+ percent of what we do on the shop floor, right at the control.
    The balance of the programming is left to me, to be produced through Autodesk’ Fusion-360. This works out well for us; having the vast majority of programming being done, quickly and efficiently, at the machine via Mazatrol (the 8th wonder of the world...my opinion) with minimal involvement of a CAM system.
    Having watched a YouTube video of a guy programming an Okuma turning Center; I had assumed that the milling iteration of Okuma’s OSP control would be similar in strategy. I must admit, based on that particular video, I was highly impressed. It had a very “Mazatrol” logic to it; very intuitive, logical flow, highly effective, and not a G-code in sight. One would also assume that it’d accept G-code as well; just like a Mazak, I suppose.
    Please don’t get me wrong; I have nothing against G-code....Hell, my first CNC was an old Bridgeport with a BOSS 9i. Can someone out there give me an idea of how the OSP-P200M operates? Is it a conversational system like the Mazatrol system, is it similar to the lathe programming of the Okuma in the YouTube video I mentioned earlier? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Ward.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mykal1970 View Post
    Oh snap!
    I’ve been considering the purchase of an Okuma Genos M460-VE with the OSP-P200M control that is currently listed on eBay. Having gone almost completely Mazak since the early ‘90s; this post scared the crap out of me! I made the mistake of purchasing a Mori-Seiki NV-5000 with a Fanuc 18i-MB WITH Mori’s MAPPS/CAPPS system; excellent machine, mechanically speaking, and a DISASTER to program with their feeble attempt at a “shop floor programming system.” It was so bad, everyone was coordinating with one another to avoid having to use the Mori. Ended up selling the machine about a year later, having put only a couple hundred hours on it, at an astronomical loss. Point being’ I don’t want to end up in the same boat again.
    With even the older Mazatrol control systems (M-32’s and T-32’s) we program, LITERALLY, 90+ percent of what we do on the shop floor, right at the control.
    The balance of the programming is left to me, to be produced through Autodesk’ Fusion-360. This works out well for us; having the vast majority of programming being done, quickly and efficiently, at the machine via Mazatrol (the 8th wonder of the world...my opinion) with minimal involvement of a CAM system.
    Having watched a YouTube video of a guy programming an Okuma turning Center; I had assumed that the milling iteration of Okuma’s OSP control would be similar in strategy. I must admit, based on that particular video, I was highly impressed. It had a very “Mazatrol” logic to it; very intuitive, logical flow, highly effective, and not a G-code in sight. One would also assume that it’d accept G-code as well; just like a Mazak, I suppose.
    Please don’t get me wrong; I have nothing against G-code....Hell, my first CNC was an old Bridgeport with a BOSS 9i. Can someone out there give me an idea of how the OSP-P200M operates? Is it a conversational system like the Mazatrol system, is it similar to the lathe programming of the Okuma in the YouTube video I mentioned earlier? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Ward.
    Most Okuma Mills will not have conversational software on them like you are used too. It will need G-code to run the machine. The M560/460 machines are good machines. We have two of the M560s, one 3 axis and one with a 5th axis Koma table. The machines are fast and quite accurate. There only feature I really dislike is the Y-axis cover. It can be damaged easily it seems

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Okuma M460-VE or Mazak VCU-500C?

Basically, I can buy the Mazak (same year, same overall condition) for about $5k more. Trying to determine if the cheaper Okuma is going to cost me more in the long run due to control difference. Opinions?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mr M.
    Thank you for the clarification; I guess that settles that.

Mike Ward