What's new
What's new

UL anyone?

tbroot

Plastic
So after months of frustration (university install) trying to get power to a M460 and L-200 we have now been told that the machines need UL certs despite being EU and Japan compliant, I was currious if a) anyone has gone through it and b) if anyone may have had identical machines inspected on the off chance it would carry over.

Many thanks in advance

So after months of frustration (university install) trying to get power to a M460 and L-200 we have now been told that the machines need UL certs despite being EU and Japan compliant, I was currious if a) anyone has gone through it and b) if anyone may have had identical machines inspected on the off chance it would carry over.

Many thanks in advance

Who's the genius that's making you get certs?
OSHA doesn't even look for those things... do they?

There is a company called MET Labs. They can inspect it and sticker it or set you up as a UL shop and you can sticker it.
http://www.metlabs.com

You are going to need a fairly complete list of electrical components in the machine. (i.e. Omron relay G2-1-S, Omron Relay base PYF14A-E, Mitsubishi VFD model xxxxx, Entrelec Terminal block M6/8, etc.)

If the manufacturer can give you a Bill of materials, it can make it way easier.

Who's the genius that's making you get certs?
OSHA doesn't even look for those things... do they?

Like I said state University install, every hoop than can be jumped through must be, we are approaching 4 months of machines on the ground without power and 5+ since notification was given that they were coming.

Grumpy:
We have an inspection set with MET, I will look into the BOM, thanks, have you had one done?

Like I said state University install, every hoop than can be jumped through must be, we are approaching 4 months of machines on the ground without power and 5+ since notification was given that they were coming.

Grumpy:
We have an inspection set with MET, I will look into the BOM, thanks, have you had one done?
We had them do our Panel shop so we can label our stuff. They do inspections of the shop every 3 months or so. They just look at our paper work, look at what we have in production, make sure we are still building up to standard and generate some report . They also make us aware of any changes in UL code.

Community college system in NC has to deal with this nonsense. Some company came in. Wandered around the new machine and charged us a hefty fee. Its rediculous. Some stuff we just cant buy. Oh well. Kids dont learn now. But the lawyers are happy.

I understand the concerns that drive this, but it has become a racket. Normally, the importer is responsible for this approval, otherwise US domestic sales I believe is illegal.

On second thought, this machine is meant for industrial use in a commercial environment. In which case, may be exempt from UL certification. I remember reading somewhere that UL is only applicable for residential environments. In which case, it would be your school that is in error wanting the Cert.

I understand the concerns that drive this, but it has become a racket. Normally, the importer is responsible for this approval, otherwise US domestic sales I believe is illegal.

There is no law saying anything you buy has to be UL (Unless you are in a jurisdiction who added it to their code).

I buy industrial air handling and HVAC equipment for a living, and none of that is UL. (I can pay to have it labeled, but it is an option).

I reached for my closest item, a TI calculator, no UL. No problem.

You may be confused with CE for Europe. Europe does require CE marks to import.

Back