What's new
What's new

what are this for : BIN and BCD ?

deadlykitten

Banned
what are these for : BIN and BCD ?

hello :) these 2 converts numbers between hexazecimal and zecimal formats

but where are they needed ? anybody uses them ? kindly !

BIN stands for binary and BCD stands for (IBM) binary coded decimal. UNIVAC called the BCD format XS3. The purpose of this 6 bit code was to do with using a binary adder to do decimal arithmetic. Effectively, "0" was a binary "3". This allowed the 10s carry bit to occur in the correct place. Back in the old days, this made both basic decimal arithmetic much easier and the results printable without elaborate translation routines and before the popularity of ASCII and EPSIDIC. Google it for a history lesson.

i thought there are cnc programs that actually uses them

they are more related to harware arhitecture, rather than to G01 :)

Silly me! I didn't even think you needed to know that if you live in Antarctica.

You are correct Ray, but I'm old and in my younger years I was a computer engineer. In those days of discreet components, you had to really know your 1s and 0s to troubleshoot faults. Today we have magic blocks of plastic with no knowledge of how they function. I'm an antique.

i see those codes like a "blast from the past" :)

there was the msdos generation

now is the windows

tablets and periferics generation on the way

after that i think that some kind of symbiosis will come :)

what is your native language? if it is English, you are very, very drunk

hy sfriedberg :) far as i know, there is "english" and "sean paul's english" :)

on this forum i was never drunked when i posted something

maybe i will try once, just for you, to get "a sample" of my thoughts without a filter :)

i see those codes like a "blast from the past" :)

Phhft! 'a blast from the past' was TWO level Morse and several European contemporaries - even predecessors, the French five-level Baudot with its clever 'shift in' and 'shift out' option still more widely used in my youth than UNIVAC 6-bit FIELDATA or either of IBM's BCDIC and EBCDIC munges.

ASCII was not even expected to survive, let alone prevail, and might NOT have done had IBM not adopted it for 'small iron' machines that were to prove huge sellers. "Word Processors" that were actually better 'computers' at CPU-level than many computer-computers of the era, plus a 'mid frame' barely able to reboot in 13 hours after a crash.

Didja know that often despised IBM "AIX" is the only commercial UNIX to have ever earned SERIOUS money?

Or that it did so by outselling all other "Unices" combined and carrying a rather average-otherwise line of 'puters on its broad-shouldered back? GE-Honeywell-Bull did a better 'hardware' implementation - shared patents and all - back in that era.

Thank also 'Plan 9' team member notes on a fast-food napkin that led in mere days to UTF-8 and -16 - either of them able to cover all known languages and character sets of mankind, current, fossilized, or future.

Back