What's new
What's new

Automated tig welding

Seekins

Stainless
Anyone know of a place that offers automated tig welding? I have a new product that gets 3 plug welds in aluminum. I need nice looking consistant welds and a place that can do the QTY i need. thinking a robot is the way to go.

I'd be interested in what you come up with. I have often thought that putting together a TIG welding robot would be an interesting challenge. Seems like the best system would use a vision system tuned to "see" the puddle and coax it along not letting it get too big or too small.

If you ultimately you don't find any good solutions, I might be interested in giving it a shot.

It'd probably be a lot easier to find someone set up for robotic wire welding of aluminum. I've seen that done in the plant of a manufacturer of aluminum components used in specialized railroad cars, and it you didn't know it was wire you'd swear it was the most perfect tig work you'd ever seen.

A couple thoughts come to mind.
One is robotic wire feed tig.
The other is just robotic mig with modern power supplies.

Last time I was at Fabtech i saw OTC Daihen do some amazing looking aluminum mig welds with a robot.
Almega Arc Welding Robots - OTC DAIHEN Inc.

The OTC robot was a breeze to program. I messed with it for 10 minutes and was impressed.

I dont want to nessisaraly build a robot system, at least not yet. I do have 1000 parts a month to plug weld. Its thin 6061 and wire welds too hot so the part warps or burns thru easily. I guess if someone could wire them and it works it wouldnt matter. Tig is just much cooler and has no issues when anodizing. I have 4 different welders welding them for me but i dont think they will be able to keep up because they are part time after their day job. I HOPE i am wrong but it want another backup plan, expecially if i doubble orders. I purchased a Lincoln 275 so we can do them in house as well.

I am most interested in a shop that offers the survice, i guess they can do it manualy if they are good and can supply me with as many as i need and all be perfect. Was looking into robot welding becasuse of the consistancy. I can run a good bead allong a seam, but making a prety plug is tough.

Back