What's new
What's new

Class1 Div1 Painting Robot Integration

motion guru

Diamond
We put controls on a gantry painting robot in 2000 for a big customer that makes airplanes in the Seattle area :D

We have been asked to put a new control system on this same robot - and our recollection of issues surrounding the Class1 Div1 cabling issues is that we hoped to never ever have to touch this system again.

I have done a little research and was pleased to find a motor cable that is now rated for Class1 Div1 duty . . . but I still cannot find a resolver (low voltage) multi-conductor cable that is rated at this level.

How do the major painting robot companies get around this requirement?

Also - can anyone recommend a multi-conductor connector that is rated - I need at least 10 conductors in one cable and 4 conductors in the other cable.

I am finding that the controls are easy - it is compliance with local codes and the inspection / approval process that is the challenge.

Have you tried the Lapp Group.
Lapp News Articles-OLFLEX® Power Class 1 Div 1

Oops! Forgot the connectors.
Cable Glands

Look to marine and the oil industry for wiring and connectors, most of their needs are for Class 1 div 1 wiring and couplings.

Turck makes some nice Class 1 stuff, but their connectors only seem to go up to 6 conductors.

O-Z/Gedney makes Class 1 cable connectors in trade sizes of 1/2" to 6" I believe. I think prices start at about $100 ea. Here's a pdf of them. http://www.o-zgedney.com/PDF/OZG_BC[1].pdf

Hope this helps.

TMT - you got me on the right trail . . . one google search based on your first link landed me on Lapp Online Catalog - which appears to offer an option that might work OK for a resolver cable. I need to test as the conductors aren't twisted / shielded pairs, but for the short distance I need to go, this might be OK.

Also paintbooth penetration using these http://www.ehawke.com/cableglands/711.html

Thanks!

Now to get the connectors squared away . . .

Another brick wall - the lapp cable is 19 strand, hardly rated for continuous flexing and no armor so no cable gland will offer Class1 Div1 protection without armor.

I found another cable company "Americable" who offers Gexol cables . . . armored, Class 1 Div 1 with mating cable glands that maintain rating . . . but same strand count in 18 guage so that means short cable life.

Back to the search engines!

I imagine that the manufactures of class 1 div 1 paint robots integrate the whole design around maintaining their class 1 div 1 classifications.

Of course I don't know what any of your design specs called for, but can you incorporate intrinsically safe areas/boundaries within your design?

Intrinsically safe circuits may be wired using any of the wiring methods suitable for unclassified locations. The use of connectors is allowed as intrinsically safe circuits are safe against faults, including opening, shorting or grounding. The same requirements for mechanical protection and length limitations apply as in nonhazardous locations.

You may have already thought of this and discarded this idea as unfeasible, just throwing out an idea.

Class 1 div 1 is always an expensive and tricky when being added to a non class 1 environment, while integrating it into the original design is much less costly, excluding certification cost of the design, of course.

Out of my expertise and experience, but for a low voltage, essentially a data signal(feeding info from a resolver) would it be possible and within the rules to use a box at the resolver to convert electrical signals to optical and transmit via optical cable?

Next question is, do they make high flex optical cable.

motion guru,

Thinking a little more about your problem, hopefully you have found a solution by now.

Digging a little deeper into the code and some interface systems this one from Phoenix Contact may might offer some help.
PHOENIX CONTACT | Intrinsic Safety Barriers

My understanding is if the resolver is class 1 div 1 rated and you can provide an intrinsically safe barrier at the control then you might/should be able to use standard cables between the two. I am not sure the above link is the solution, but perhaps a phone call to Phoenix Contact might lead to one.

I saw an interesting application at IMTS recently.

They eliminated the bulk of the wiring completely on a robotics system integration and simply used a wireless bluetooth system to handle all the external and process I/O. It worked flawlessly according to the tech. No external wiring required...

Just another thought...

Back