What's new
What's new

Computer worm targeting Siemens PLCs

Siemens was pretty quick with a bulletin warning of this and software upgrades to close the vulnerability. i am fairly certain that we were alerted to this just over a month ago.

The interesting thing about this is that as PLC systems become more and more connected to public WAN's for remote access and data collection - they become vulnerable to malware like this. In this case - the PLC / HMI code is uploaded to a remote server for review by the malware creators and where it can be modified as desired by the malware creator to control machinery in a different manner than intended by the OEM and sent back to the PLC/HMI in the form of modified code listings.

If you think about how many chemical / refinery / energy processes are run by PLCs - it wouldn't be hard to create changes to control software that would result in catastrophic failures in these systems.

Ooof...I wondered when this day would come although it does not yet effect my trade that I know of. I work in building automation, we are dealers for Siemens, Honeywell, American Automatrix and Johnson. It used to be that the specific controllers where proprietary and were commanded and programmed with the manuacturers software, open protocols such as LonWorks and BACNET have changed that. The front end we use for these systems runs on a windows platform and is based in JAVA. The program, designed and licensed by Tridium (now owned by Honeywell), is basically the same for all of the lines listed with only basic cosmetic and privilege changes and, in most instances, is web accessible. So in effect if someone were to design a bug that could infiltrate Tridiums software they could gain access to many systems and, while an intimate knowledge of many systems was once required, knowledge of only one is now required (more bang for your hacker buck!). Not so much a big deal for comfort cooling, and a little worse for server rooms and critical cooling, but when you consider that the same system can also have building access and security integrated into it the scenario becomes worse. I don't doubt that if there is a bug designed manufacturers will begin reversing the move to open protocol and touting their proprietary products as safe.

JR

Last edited:
As far as the talk around the shop goes the Stuxnet rides on the back of WinCC. If you don't use WinCC you won't have any problems with Stuxnet.

Figure to have copycats of Stuxnet floating around. Someday it's gonna happen to all of us.

Rep

Apparently you are not affected unless you are running enrichment centrifuges. It is quite specific to those operations.

Back