What's new
What's new

Computers/Tablets on the shop floor

niva5171

Plastic
Hello everyone! My name is Nick, and I am a Process Engineer at a small machine shop in Charlotte NC. I have a deli-ma I want to work through, and get your feedback!

Here is the project background. We are in the process of implementing computers on the shop floor for operators to use to track production, and pull up needed documents. Each computer will need to be able to scan bar-codes, and print as well.

Method 1 (Mine):
My approach is to set up 15 workstations around the shop floor with keyboard, mouse, label printer (for printing bar-codes), and a bar-code scanner. This will be workstations, either a desktop, or all in one computer (always powered, plugged in to Ethernet). This makes it easy because they can use the printer, and bar-code scanner at any computer they are located at. Operators generally work on multiple machines throughout the day that are located all over the shop. Every work station has 1 printer, and 1 bar-code scanner, and they always stay with that work station.

Method 2 (CEO's):
His approach is to give every operator a tablet, and have strategically placed bar-code scanners and label printers around the shop. The tablets will need a charging station, will be on wifi, and only touch screens (he is against keyboards and mice). There are several issues I see with this approach:
*touch screens are harder to use ( and sucks when they get dirty, which they will very quickly in this environment.)
*Our ERP system will run slower on wifi versus ethernet.
*Having the tablet change default printers/ bar-code scanner automatically depending on location within the shop. (<---------My biggest obstacle)
*Small screen size
*Can be dropped, lost/stolen, or misplaced easily

Have any of you gone down this road before with tablets or workstations? any suggestions? what worked, what didn't?

Would love any feedback, thank you guys!

Hello everyone! My name is Nick, and I am a Process Engineer at a small machine shop in Charlotte NC. I have a deli-ma I want to work through, and get your feedback!

Here is the project background. We are in the process of implementing computers on the shop floor for operators to use to track production, and pull up needed documents. Each computer will need to be able to scan bar-codes, and print as well.

Method 1 (Mine):
My approach is to set up 15 workstations around the shop floor with keyboard, mouse, label printer (for printing bar-codes), and a bar-code scanner. This will be workstations, either a desktop, or all in one computer (always powered, plugged in to Ethernet). This makes it easy because they can use the printer, and bar-code scanner at any computer they are located at. Operators generally work on multiple machines throughout the day that are located all over the shop. Every work station has 1 printer, and 1 bar-code scanner, and they always stay with that work station.

Method 2 (CEO's):
His approach is to give every operator a tablet, and have strategically placed bar-code scanners and label printers around the shop. The tablets will need a charging station, will be on wifi, and only touch screens (he is against keyboards and mice). There are several issues I see with this approach:
*touch screens are harder to use ( and sucks when they get dirty, which they will very quickly in this environment.)
*Our ERP system will run slower on wifi versus ethernet.
*Having the tablet change default printers/ bar-code scanner automatically depending on location within the shop. (<---------My biggest obstacle)
*Small screen size
*Can be dropped, lost/stolen, or misplaced easily

Have any of you gone down this road before with tablets or workstations? any suggestions? what worked, what didn't?

Would love any feedback, thank you guys!

well if your making something that's important then the bosses way is easily HACKED via the internet or someone parked outside like a competitor....your way plugged in is safer and faster on info transfer....we have both touch screens and mouse and keyboard...think aboot that for a second...
9no WIFI so secrets cannot be stolen)..because after all...he's the boss and he wont like you telling him your idea is better...even if it is better

a small machine shop.. with every body trying to be the engineer.. seems a process to wast time.
[give every operator a tablet,] a nice toy to play with.
At one shop we had a not pad with a space for.. Job- start time - end time- lost time.
Yes the lost time was shop time, like a machine problem and even to many trips to the john or a dumb mistake..
The owner explained he wanted us to be to be honest because the time sheet was used for bidding and for noting any better process.

Well, we are working with aerospace parts, so in theory, they are all important. Did you like the touch screens? keyboards, what would you prefer? what all were you doing with the tablets?

One thought: tablets have a camera which means documentation can be held to an actual photo of the process or problem. We take photos from time to time of difficult or confusing setups.

It's also a built-in barcode scanner.

WiFi isn't really any less secure if set up properly. We have WiFi, make a proprietary product, and have had more troubles with people opening malicious email and phone scams than anything network related.

I agree the tablets are likely to get dirty in short order, but so will the computers.

One thought: tablets have a camera which means documentation can be held to an actual photo of the process or problem. We take photos from time to time of difficult or confusing setups.

It's also a built-in barcode scanner.

WiFi isn't really any less secure if set up properly. We have WiFi, make a proprietary product, and have had more troubles with people opening malicious email and phone scams than anything network related.

I agree the tablets are likely to get dirty in short order, but so will the computers.

Are you printing from the tablets? what all are you doing with them? Just curious if we have similar applications.

using tablet as a camera and picture viewer is not bad to have around.
i prefer desktop computer with bigger than 20" screen myself. i use for drawings, setup info and excel files (record measurements or work log and do auto calculated math on feeds and speeds and tool history)
i currently use sony digital camera and it has a great zoom. i can take picture zoomed in easily see a small item. either a few square inches at 5 feet or a square foot at 50 feet, works good

Attachments

• SetupPowerpoint.jpg
    SetupPowerpoint.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 396
  • hard spots.jpg
    hard spots.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 256
Tablets will work fine for your use but you will need a beefy wifi access points or it will uber slow and cause more frustration than it's worth.

No you're el cheapo best buy special netgear access point will not cut it you need enterprise access points and setting up correctly. You could make simple sheet to sign in out out like and wiping the screen down and cleaning the case then putting on the charging station when done now the printer automatically depending where you are in shop won't work you can be that accurate you should just a printer wherever that charging station is for that work cell and default to that printer.

well if your making something that's important then the bosses way is easily HACKED via the internet or someone parked outside like a competitor....your way plugged in is safer and faster on info transfer....we have both touch screens and mouse and keyboard...think aboot that for a second...
9no WIFI so secrets cannot be stolen)..because after all...he's the boss and he wont like you telling him your idea is better...even if it is better

See this once in a while.
Don't want my programs, prints. process routers on the cloud. Don't want wireless that can be intercepted outside the building.
Anyone actually get hit by this?
So much easier to "buy" an employee.
Get the entire customer list, contact names, part numbers, prices, delivery schedules, process methods and a friendly name on board who can talk inside.
SOP.
Johnny Larue , You know about hacking, maybe you can do it and trace my MAC back here, Give up on a IP that's not gonna work.
What color is your hat? .Mine is sort of grey but now I tend to the white.

One can be all paranoid about the news and the net. You do not attack a machine shop on this level. You buy and steal employee information in their heads.
Despite all his computer stuff it is just like the old days.
I give your key employee a better paycheck and position or give your PA $30-100K cash in a briefcase..........

The last thing I worry about is hacking my wireless computers on the floor or my internet traffic.
I am not a bank, I have nothing worth stealing that a few free drinks in a local bar with my employees won't reveal.
Bob

Tablets will work fine for your use but you will need a beefy wifi access points or it will uber slow and cause more frustration than it's worth.

No you're el cheapo best buy special netgear access point will not cut it you need enterprise access points and setting up correctly. You could make simple sheet to sign in out out like and wiping the screen down and cleaning the case then putting on the charging station when done now the printer automatically depending where you are in shop won't work you can be that accurate you should just a printer wherever that charging station is for that work cell and default to that printer.
Have you ever actually tried to read your own gibberish? :rolleyes5: I've never been able to make sense of 90% of what you write.

------------------------------

We use a touch screen computer at the one machine and, when the new shop is done and we move in, will have a touch screen at all work stations on the shop floor... shipping, each machine, the saw, tool setting, etc. We will be printing from the shipping computer but that's it, however right now we have wireless printing from mine and the computer nerds' desks and it works flawlessly. I can't see how printing from tablets would be any different.

Personally I would not use tablets as you are constantly zooming in / out to see details on prints and setup pictures, plus you can drop them easily, lose them, etc. Yes the touch screen computers get dirty very quickly as well, but we wash nearly all of our parts in a Dawn/water rinse so you just dip a paper towel in that, wash the computer off and move on with your day.

The one touch screen we have at the machine now has transformed the entire shop. The only thing I print now, for the most part, is customer PO's to have at my desk. Everything else is on the network which is heavily firewalled and the touchscreen only has access to one file folder, and is read-only at that. The only thing that is being moved over wifi is .nc programs and setup files... who the hell wants that stuff? :)

I would suggest large touch screen WITH wired keyboard and mouse.

Keyboards and mice are stupid cheap and being wired stay in place.

They do make rubber keyboards that look like floor mat so water not issue.

Touch screens nice as long as fingers clean.

Having tablets means drop damage and loss so too much pain to manage.

Build to allow a tablet to work so a lead operator can roam and have "private" access.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back