What's new
What's new

Custom numbers on Digital Caliper readout

panchala

Plastic
Good Morning all,
I need help with building a system with respect to digital readouts and need inputs.
Objective: To display two digital readouts, one with linear dimension and the other with a custom number for the linear dimension.
I am measuring a 0.375" length using a 6" linear digital callipers.
I am dividing this 0.375" length into 25 sections each with an arbitrary length and assigned each section from 1 through 25.
I want a display the readouts of both the dimension and the number digitally. How do I do it? Any suggestions?

Display 1
Length in Inches Display 2
Custom Readout

0.000 0
0.004 1
0.008 2
0.012 3
0.016 4
0.020 5
0.023 6
0.027 7
0.031 8
0.039 9
0.047 10
0.055 11
0.063 12
0.078 13
0.094 14
0.109 15
0.125 16
0.148 17
0.172 18
0.195 19
0.219 20
0.246 21
0.273 22
0.301 23
0.328 24
0.375 25

I appreciate all of your inputs.
Thanks,

If you have that list of the readout values then you know the "custom" numbers. Why do you need it displayed? If you are serious then I would suggest using an arduino to read the lcd display and print your custom values on a separate device/screen. Seems like a lot of work to replace just glancing at a piece of paper.

What accuracy do you need?
Do you have the scales/caliper chosen already or is that selection still open? What about the display: how large/small can it be?

Not a difficult task, but the devil, as always, is in the details.

I choke 6" Mitutoyo callipers. I added some more information about the display I am trying to do.

Objective: To display a preset digital readout (Display2) corresponding to the measured dimension on the Vernier calipers (Display1). The digital readout display shall be added on the calipers, as an attachment and shall utilize the calipers battery. Following is the sample data of calipers measurements and required preset output.

Last edited:
It appears to me your trying to "dumb down" or reduce the accuracy
of the calipers.

These normally read to an accuracy of .001, you now want .004 ?
That appears to be your "step size".

It sounds as if your counting .004 thick shims, and you want a production
worker to make a total stack of .375 high, hence readout giving "number of shims
in stack" readout.

For each measurement on the callipers, I want to preset a number and that preset number to be shown on the second display.
What I am trying to do was for calipers reading (Display1) of 0.0040, I want a to display2 as 1. For callipers reading (Display1) of 0.0080, I want a display2 reading as 2. Likewise, I want to display for all other callipers measurements.

For each measurement on the callipers, I want to preset a number and that preset number to be shown on the second display.
What I am trying to do was for calipers reading (Display1) of 0.0040, I want a to display2 as 1. For callipers reading (Display1) of 0.0080, I want a display2 reading as 2. Likewise, I want to display for all other callipers measurements.

Restating your original post doesn't make any progress.
Please reference my question, or no more help from me.

This sounds like an excel file. Make the appropriate formulas (if needed that is), create rows and columns, print, employee takes measurement, refers to chart, done.

Either you know how to help, or you don't.

No one should have to bow down in humble submission to get an answer to a reasonable question.
The problem seems to be stated sufficiently.

Hello Doug,
I am sorry and do not mean to restate the original post. My apologies. Let me answer reference your question.

It appears to me your trying to "dumb down" or reduce the accuracy of the calipers. No.

These normally read to an accuracy of .001, you now want .004 ?
That appears to be your "step size". My calipers acuracy is 0.0005".

It sounds as if your counting .004 thick shims, and you want a production
worker to make a total stack of .375 high, hence readout giving "number of shims
in stack" readout. we made a 0.375" thick high precision block with divisions marked as shown in coloumn1 (We are trying to install this block on a high pressure control valve for precise movement. For each division mvoement, instead of showning the dimension on the block/how long it moved, we want to show a preset number. Am I making any sense? pelase advise. Thanks.

I don't know how feasible it is to use the caliper's battery as opposed to having a separate one, but what you are asking is certainly possible.

If you're looking for someone to build it for you, send me a PM.

Many commonly-available calipers have a 'hidden' serial data port. You can construct a cable to output data from the device, and either write a program to receive that data, and display it in its original or calculated/modified form to your spec; or you can input suck it into Excel via serial port and have Excel do the conversion and display. Googling both the serial port modification and the Excel import is left as an exercise for the reader.

Since it's got a serial input, it may (may) be hackable. The enterprising modifier could achieve 'root' on the device, and inject new code to make the internal display do all the work. That sounds like a ton of research with very little possible upside, however. I'd stick with the serial port and Excel because folks have been there before...

The nice thing is the Excel approach can be modified easily for other paramaters, tolerances, data gathering, etc. You can also feed a ton of different remote displays with the computer you're using, including placing one on the caliper itself if need be. Creative wireless work could make it all bluetooth compatible, too.

Shoot me your credit card number and I'll do some real research for you. :)

Is 0.0089 a 2 or a 3?

Chip

Panchala,
i must admit I was a bit mesmerized by your question. I was somewhat confused when you or someone mentioned vernier calipers which I believe claim better accuracy than a straight digital set of calipers most in the accuracy range of .001 thousandth . When we want accuracy I would use both my digital calipers and I could use vernier calipers which by the way most who machine now a days do not know how to read yet I have been around starting in the seventies on manual machines. All in manufacturing has changed for the better equipment and machine wise. I get for your own valid reasons you wish to two to be basically in the end what the true reading is. I am wondering why you need to do this and what purpose it has because of the straightforward and respectfully asked request . I encourage you to not give up on the input from this wonderful site. The people on here even the grumpy ones add value yet some are not worth much except attacks,frustrations, and the desire to bait more chaos. I do not think anyone who has responded fit these descriptions in any serious way one wishes clarification which you may be bound to not reveal. I understand that sir. I honor my very descent family owned business owners upon their rules, policies, and requirements. Sometimes I clash who they put in charge I disagree and if they prove hostile and light a fuse on my anger it only makes things worse unless I can control my texts and always follow Civil dialogues sometimes it requires me to take a stand and I do knowing I will be hurt in the process. So that said I admit it is a tangent I offer you my input. In G code programming it has been said and also not mentioned that a line of code ( your value 1) would be a identifier such as N100 then followed by numbers (which for you would be your # 1 display .375 for example. So in G code the intent is to be able to identify so we can fix a problem which starts at N120 for example you have numbers working with a identifier easy to find so we can correct it. Well today most view it as a waste of time as software and a programmer notes where the problem by taking the only identifier say a N100 which is what number you search and call up to start again there for say a finish profile. Any way using say your checked dimension part result you may use on one part as the start a or A 1. Then you can use the whole alphabet as display #2. If you make a product with 100 pieces then you could use for the first A1 then A2 and use A on all checked dimensions which would all be assigned on the top of page the part number. Since I think you wish to verify a dimension say for the customer and you wish to verify QC #'s if a part comes back to you. Many companies separate runs of parts with the work order # (basically a number for interior "the company's")
way to follow runs also Julian dates are used if these numbers must also be on the parts. To go back to have 2 displays I would use a letter and a number to reference each check. Just my thoughts. Long winded I know yet I TrueType believe in writing everything I say is part of the puzzle picture I try to convey. Hope this helps. Pm me if you can and if you can share more on why this is needed my curiosity may actually help me learn something new and I love it when that happens.

So my friend after giving us baffling information (to me) can you tell earthlings like me what you have found out ,need to do, or have done.

He never PM'd me, so I'm guessing he wasn't interesting in paying for a solution.
Pity: it would have been a fun short project.

Back