What's new
What's new

Driving a shunt motor at a fixed speed

The Dude

Hot Rolled
We are re-purposing a piece of used equipment we purchased (very cheap). It has a DC shunt motor, 115 volts, 1/50 HP (0.33 amps). The OEM power supply is bad (no DC output)and obsolete and it's also likely that we won't need variable speed. I'm trying to determine if I can power the motor at it's rated RPM (1725) with just a plain DC power supply (ideally 115 volts). I've checked Minarik, Automation Direct and they don't make anything less than about 1 AMP for a variable speed power supply. If I find a DC power supply at the rated voltage it looks like I can just wire up the shunt and windings off of the same voltage, is that correct?

Thanks,
The Dude

A single power supply is applicable.
plan to include a resistor to control field strength, Note that field weakening is used to INCREASE speed.

Best is a power supply with controls for both armature and field current

Little SCR drives for that thing are so fricken cheap it hardly seems worth it to fiddle around with anything but a off the shelf drive. Just turn the speed to 'full' then remove the knob.

Stuart

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I agree with the "fricken cheap" part; we could easily be accused of being penny-wise & pound foolish. The only caveat on this one is that every drive I've found so far is overrated (again, nothing less than 1 AMP and we need 0.33 AMPS). Otherwise, I would've bought about the first thing I found.

Update: Called Minarik, they got me fixed up for about $200 through one of their distributors.

The Dude

Last edited:

Back