Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gripping 5 mm acrylic rod in confined space

I am using bushing and 2 set screws to hold a 5mm acrylic rod. and right now the set screws are causing the rod to flex away from the screws by several degrees or two. Do you think a miniature collet like something for handheld tool would hold the rod closer to straight or am i just going to have issues given a small diameter of a soft material. I have very limited space and mass for the attachment mechanism.

Yes i am aware acrylic is not the optimal material for this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In pro audio/video equipment, there are some nice collet-style control knobs that have a plastic outer body, but a nice brass collet assembly inside, tightened by a screw. They might give you a headstart on a nicely coaxial mount for your acrylic shaft... depending on what you have to affix it to. 5mm seems to be avoided in the link below, but there's a 6mm, and I'll bet you can find a drill somewhere about the shop...

Classic Collet Knobs

One example of many out there, revealed in the Google search of: collet mount knobs.

Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Google shaft collars, get the split type and you should get no deflection that way.