What's new
What's new

Having problems driving a TLY Servo Motor with a PowerFlex40...

lukeb28

Plastic
As the title. I've set up the drive to limit voltage to 230V so as not to damage the drive and connected everything up. I expected it to hopefully just work with that but I get an odd jittering of the motor instead while the VFD reports it outputting about 2.5 Hz for maybe half a second then dropping to <0.2 Hz. Really not sure where to go from here.

The PowerFlex: 22b-e3p0n104
The Motor: tly-a230t-hk62aa

Any assistance would be appreciated.

You are very likely over voltaging the motor for a given frequency.

How many poles does the motor have? What's it's rated speed at 230V?

You are very likely over voltaging the motor for a given frequency.

How many poles does the motor have? What's it's rated speed at 230V?

It is three phase and rated for 6000 RPM @ 230V
The VFD operates from zero to 60 Hz and the minimum voltage is 40V. When set at 40V, the motor rotates with some odd grating noises and is jerky to start. Higher voltages just have the motor jittering in one predictable direction and the stop function does work. At 40V it rotates predictably @ 60Hz but becomes erratic just like the higher voltages when the frequency is lowered and also the VFD cannot stop the motor with the panel button, the power must be manually opened to stop the motor.

6000 rpm at 230V . . .

A pm brushless servo motor rated at 6000 rpm could be 2, 4, 6, or 8 or ??? Poles

For grins, let's say it is 8 poles. Hz = RPM x # of poles / 120

6000x8/120 = 400Hz . . . Enter name plate data of 230V at 400Hz and see how that goes. You really need to know the number of poles to get the flux density set correctly.

Back