What's new
What's new

High Speed Robot Hand

NeedCNC

Aluminum
I really like the cell phone toss. Imagine a robot removing a part from a CNC lathe chuck and tossing it to another robot that places it in a vise for milling. (Like the NBA of machining. No conveyors)

http://tinyurl.com/ltva2m

I wouldn't say that I impress easilly, but that vid did it!

The boy was just walking through the office and he stopped to watch it as well. HE was impressed as well.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I wonder how many cycle they ran until it caught the phone? It is impressive that the optics and process speed is fast enough to catch an object in flight. I would like to see it juggle.

Not quite

Awesome stuff. And once again, all that stuff was made by machinists.

Uh, I beg to differ. Most of that stuff was devised and designed by engineers (mechanical and electronic) and computer programmers. Yes, the machining is important, but the real achievement is in the design, software and sensors.

No doubt there is a boat load of code back there somewhere. I'd love to know what kind of platform they are running that on. Probably QnX, a fantastically fast real time kernel.

Uh, I beg to differ. Most of that stuff was devised and designed by engineers (mechanical and electronic) and computer programmers. Yes, the machining is important, but the real achievement is in the design, software and sensors.

I beg to differ back.
Your design wouldn't do that without parts to build it with, I happen to be an engineer also but guess what I own a aerospace machine shop.

I'm not taking anything away from the engineers or programmers. All I was saying is that machinists built the parts. Without seeing all the parts, it's hard to say if there was any machining achievements. The machinists may or may not have influenced the design.

At my job the engineers work closely with the machinists in order to design parts that can actually be made. It's not a top down system. We all work together. Our device is an achievement of engineering and machining.

Too often are the machinists forgotten about and not given the respect they deserve. Same goes for all the trades in my opinion.

The socially important observation is that this is the work of scientists, engineers, craftspeople. It is real live technical work.

I don't know how that lab if funded, but no exotic financial instruments actually contributed anything to making the device work.

Most things in engineering books started on the shop floor.

In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, it seldom is. If it was, nobody would prototype.

Back