Ideas for End Effector for Gantry style 2 or 3 axis loader - Brainstorming stage - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've found over the course of the years as far as "master" "Slave", the best situation is to have the machine be a "semi-auto". Much like a person standing there. The robot is "master", but it's in partner with the machine. The machine can be ran stand-alone (hand loaded) when need be just by simply block skipping the wait M codes.

Typically, (because we have EE's on staff that can do it) we want the machine plc to control the machine things, so auto door, loading helper, clamping, etc is all handled within the machine plc where you have access to all the other functions that need to be looked at (slide position, turret position, spindle position, etc) before something actuates. The robot "requests" things for the machine to do, but the machine won't do that task until things are good on the machine side to allow it. The machine also makes "requests" or sends "information" to the robot for certain things.

The machine "requests" the robot exchange parts after it has opened the door, oriented the spindle and has the slides at home. Now, you can cheat a little and open the door while some of that other stuff is happening and allow the robot to enter the machine space, but it still can't exchange parts until all the other stuff is done, (requires a second "ok to grip part" code from the machine).

The Robot "requests" the machine to unclamp and then the machine provides feedback that it has unclamped, same for clamping, cycle start, etc. But the robot is still "master" because it is controlling when the machine cycle begins, not the other way around.

2. Likes motion guru, Johnny SolidWorks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rollerman feel free to PM me with specific application questions. If you don't have automation experience, I suggest you use an integrator to work with you on the system. That way you can be sure all safety standards are met, the correct robot is used, simulations are done correctly, install, training etc... There are many out there, I am also one. Not going to make this into a sales pitch, but I'd be happy to help with your application.

Also - as far as humans/robots in the same area - Fanuc Robotics and Universal Robotics have "Collaborative Robots" however your payload requirements are too high. I just saw the 500lb possible payload - Fanuc has some M900 robots that are in the 350kg payload range, and have quite a bit of reach.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guys, thanks again for the time spent on this thread. I will definitely reach out you guys, irobotix and johnny once we're ready to spend some $$ to see if you would like to and to what extent you guys would be able to help us out. In the meantime I am reading up on as much as I can related to the topic and brainstorming potential solutions to this challenge. If anyone has any more thoughts, ideas, or criticisms please don't hesitate to post.