What's new
What's new

Interfacing Hall Effect joystick to Hyd spool valve

Dans 20" swing

Plastic
Gentle men, I'm trying to use a joystick controller to remotely actuate two hydraulic valves so I can operate two double acting cylenders. I'm needing to control both direction and speed. So far my plan is to use a Hall Efect joystick coupled to stepper motors which are coupled to the Hyd valves via a simple screw/nut configuration. Ie... Screw rotates clockwise and valve lifts, cylender extends. Screw rotates CCW and valve goes down, cylender retracts. The joystick will be approximately 60' from the cylenders. Mechanical linkages of course would be impractical. I can run hydraulic lines but that would limit the mobility of the device I'm building. So I'm thinking electric over hydraulic control. That way I just have a cord to mess with. Picture joystick to stepper driver to stepper motor to hyd valve. I've looked at off the shelf setups but very expensive. Any ideas??? Thanks, Dan

Gentle men, I'm trying to use a joystick controller to remotely actuate two hydraulic valves so I can operate two double acting cylenders. I'm needing to control both direction and speed. So far my plan is to use a Hall Efect joystick coupled to stepper motors which are coupled to the Hyd valves via a simple screw/nut configuration. Ie... Screw rotates clockwise and valve lifts, cylender extends. Screw rotates CCW and valve goes down, cylender retracts. The joystick will be approximately 60' from the cylenders. Mechanical linkages of course would be impractical. I can run hydraulic lines but that would limit the mobility of the device I'm building. So I'm thinking electric over hydraulic control. That way I just have a cord to mess with. Picture joystick to stepper driver to stepper motor to hyd valve. I've looked at off the shelf setups but very expensive. Any ideas??? Thanks, Dan

I think you would be a lot happier and safer with air actuated hydraulic valves. I have done a number of pneumatically positioned hydraulic valves for deck crane controls on fishing boats . . . Joystick actuated pressure regulator and 3-way valve in combination are common in this kind of application. Also spring centered air cylinder connected to the hydraulic spool valve.

Back