What's new
What's new

OT: I think it's a god-given right to be able to do this with an industrial robot.

I suspect that the robot is not fenced and being on the pedestal makes it such that the "cage" cannot strike anything. Software "work envelope limits" and mechanical hard stops on the individual axes help define the array of points that the cage can "reach". Surely there's a way to keep bystanders out of the path but I didn't see that....could be a light screen array.

IMHO the real danger of an industrial robot being linked to other automation which can start a number of different programs based on sensor conditions. So if a person enters the cell without locking out the robot servo power, the programs can start at any time.

Seeing as how the Kuka is probably only controlled by its own teach pendant and not interlocked to anything else, the danger is somewhat lowered...just speculating of course. I feel certain the servo power is disconnected before people enter and exit the cage.

These 6-axis robots are fairly amazing in the accuracy they can repeat, I believe it is +/- 1mm at 2500 mm/sec, and those figures are from a 1995 technology robot, so roughly will repeat the same path within .080" at 8 feet per second (5700 ipm rapids for you CNC guys :))

money maker

THINK of the possibilities! program the software so that when the people are inverted, it shakes them in such a way as to extract the MAXIMUM amount of their pocket change ( which would be an area they would not be able to walk over to) rack up the profits!!!!> evil laughter while wringing hands in greedy capitilistic fashion<

I have wondered why on Earth they are referred to as "Industrial" Robots.

As opposed to what - a Residential one? :confused:

One of the first things I thought when I started running our waterjet was that we could put a saddle on the head and have one of the programmers program a "ride" in rapid traverse, and then have contests to see who could stay on the longest before getting dunked in the tank.

i got a little mitsibushi mrv1 in my shop at the moment, supposed to be repairing it but its been there so long i think it has now got residential status, the melfa robots are only little ones bout 18" tall maybe couple of foot extended but repeatability is about 0.2 mm, the prog that big nasty robot was running looked like the repeatability routine, with the little ones you can pick a pin out of a hole, twirl on all axis till bored stop the prog and it will stick the pin back in the hole without touching the sides [ unless its ill ]
i would not like to get in the way of that thing, ive had bruises from a little one, that contraption would snap you in two [with less than 0.5 mm repeatability!]
regards
mark

Oh man that looks like fun!!!!!

I would love to hop in there for a ride!!!!!!!! Just hope that when you shake people for change, you don't knock their lunch lose!!! They'd barf on you haul, imagine feeding that to coinstar :p . Seriously, that's SCHWEET! OSHA would have a fit though, it's a wonder you don't have to be 18 to flush a toilet with some of the rules they make up. When I worked construction, them bungholes hit our jobsite, and the resulting fine cost ME my paycheck! I didn't see ANYTHING unreasonable on that job, they froze the boss's accounts BEFORE we got paid :rolleyes::mad: . I hate OSHA, NAFTA, the EPA, and any other government funded half baked brainfart that HOSES american industry!

Gee seems like fun unless it flips you inverted and drives your head into the concrete. CNC's and Robots do screw up from time to time.

A software or hardware glitch can send a machine to some place not intended.

Wes

Who used to program and maintain of stable of E310's, S-10's, S-500, M-1, S-100 and a S-700 iirc.

shaking change out

I think there would would be a way of coaxing the change out of their pockets without making them lose their lunch. Violent shaking would be too much and they may want to end the ride early. It would probally be a series of programming steps to make their pocket change work its way loose ( taking advantage of gravity and inertia) all the while not making any counter-productive moves but, the whole ride to be disguised as fun.-evil laughter.....

I think I would trust that robot more than some of these ill-maintained rides at those traveling carnivals. How many people get hurt at those things?

A couple of years ago, KUKA and Primal Rides signed a development argreement, with the idea of putting these in amusement parks. Don't see much news lately. http://www.primalrides.com/

I am impressed with the KUKA robot. It seems very easy to attach two simple tools to the end effector and go to town.

could that red 'ring' be a light curtain or similar?

Seems that if they installed blocks on the arm itself to prevent it from getting close enough to the floor it would be completely safe

I'd like to ride it a couple times.

We have some extremely obnoxious OSHA guys up here, a coworker was written up a while ago for an infraction that the inspector was unsure of, in his words (the inspector's) 'I'm not sure but it should be a violation' another time, one of the employees was planning to go fishing after work, so had his boat and trailer hooked to his truck in the parking lot, (outside the fence) we were written up for having a 'non-approved' fuel container on the jobsite.

shortly afterwards I started to keep a boaters airhorn, the little real loud canned air types, and if I saw OSHA show up I'd sound the horn, everyone knew the horn meant to do 'safe' work or take a break untill it sounded again.

I'm all for safety, but some of the rules are not helpfull to safety or production.

Ken.

Kuka, Fanuc, ABB, and Kawasaki are the big players now, and all have a robot very similar. Fanuc seems to be the robot of choice in North America, I read they have approx 50% of the NA market...automotive body shops (meaning OEM "production" body shops and not "crash repair" body and paint repair shops) are filled with literally hundreds of them.

An earlier version of the same stunt is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOCmoYU6h1Q

When this first hit the net (a couple years ago?), there was a rumor going around that Fanuc was trying to sue the guy who did it (and then put the "robot ride" up for sale on eBay), claiming that it was an inappropriate use of their machine, and that it exposed them to liability.

The Fanuc in that movie definitely raises some questions about how it was secured to the floor...most are bolted to large baseplates which widen the "footprint" as there's a fairly incredible force reaction to all those dynamics. The Fanuc is also not on a pedestal that keeps the people well away from the floor.

The servomotors on the robots have fairly sophisticated "faults" based on the premises that if an encoder senses movement when motion was not commanded OR if movement is commanded and then no feedback comes they simply stop right there. The servomotors have integral brakes that hold the axes in position plus a fairly impressive bit of weight upon power off (just like a crane hoist motor).

One of the most impressive features of the robots is the "tool centerpoint" programming features. IOW one can define a point, radiused point (sphere), line, or plane and the robot coordinates all 6 axes to stay right within/on that feature. The features can be those attached to the robot or fixed elsewhere within the workcell. For example it could literally be programmed to wash (squeegee) a window without breaking it in say an hour with a good programmer (consider having to manually program all 6 axes for each point...probably weeks).

Back