What's new
What's new

Pneumatic Control for a Newbie

squeeze

Plastic
I made a manual version of a bandsaw power feeder which has the benefit over manufactured versions of a more consistent pressure across the material being cut. It works ok, but is challenging to adjust with the springs. Someone suggested pneumatics would allow easy adjustment and more consistent pressure. I would love to explore that but simply don't know where to begin. I have read the Festo catalogs and some tutorials on pneumatics. Let me explain what I think I'd like to have happen, and if someone wants to pipe in with ideas on my getting better educated I'll be thrilled.

I would like to be able to set the "rolling feather-board" at about 3"-4" from the fence. The feather-board should open (or be open) at the maximum (3"-4" or so) until a board trips a proximity switch indicating the board to be cut is under the feather-board. The feather-board would then close down (clamp) on the board with a consistent pressure (10 pounds?) until the end of the board passes. At that point the feather-board would open. I am assuming the pneumatic cylinder could either be spring retracted single-acting or double acting. The proximity switch could identify both the entry of the board and the departure of the board being cut. A nice feature would be if each cylinder (I envision four ... one for each "feather-board") were activated independently. But not critical. Assumption is that if I can get one to work I can move on to fine tuning.

Hopefully the photos of the existing version and the drawing of the possible replacement illustrate how this thing is currently setup and how it might work. Ultimately, I am just trying to cut veneers for my cabinet shop. So this project is a diversion, a means to an end for me.

Thanks!

IMG_1948.jpgTopView_Featherboard.jpgIMG_2037.jpg

All you really need is a festo 8989 roller valve, a VUWG-L14-B52-G18-U 5/2 pilot valve, D-1/8-MINI regulators and your cylinders. Just mill a small window in your backstop and mount the roller valve behind with the roller protruding. When you put material against the backstop, the cylinders actuate. No electric sensors involved.

Back