What's new
What's new

Push to Connet Swivels Elbows

3t3d

Diamond
Push to Connect Swivel Elbows

I was at Pack-Expo last week, looking at a lot of machinery.
It seems that some of the vacuum cups on cartonning machines used an elbow fitting as a swivel fitting.
A simple push to connect Elbow, which normally swivels, was used on some of the machinery instead of a more expensive Deublin type swivel coupler.

I asked one of the designers and he told me they worked great, that particular machine was running about 100 RPM, and the swivel was providing air to the picker arms which had vacuum generators on them.
The elbow was made by SMC.

This machine will be running less than 23 RPM, and under 40 PSI.
Any experience to say. " Don't do it!" ?

I can install an elbow fitting for now, and see how it goes, and easily replace it with a Deublin type coupler later..

What about DOT type fittings? Are they more likely to work out?
There is a semi shop across the street, I could get some.

Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited:
Kant say on the elbow, but on a similar note - on a rotary transfer machine of ours, I have a quick change air nipple pointing strait up on center, and when we run it - we just couple the fitting together and it pivots on the coupling. Been like that for a long time.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

SMC makes a line of rotary push to connect fittings that look very similar to standard fittings and are only slightly larger. I'll guess that is what they used.

I've used them before and they work fine, since the only load they usually have to carry is the air line and a Deublin union is massive overkill sometimes.

The KS series fittings have a single ball bearing and the KX series have two ball races for higher speeds, they are very compact and quite inexpensive for what they are.
Look them up, SMC has a great website.

Chris

Chriss999,

Thanks for that! Looks like just what I need.
Waiting for a response from a distributor on availability.

This to supply air pressure to the rotating dial assembly.
There are sixteen air cylinders used as air springs. So, there is no air flow, just a point to apply pressure to fill the lines.

Ox,

That might work perfectly fine for a long time.

Back