Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could be wrong about the pressure but pretty sure that Heald i.d. grinders use about 75 psi to stroke the table back and forth. The seal is a leather cup. Control is very good but it's messy as heck. Speed probably does change with temperature but in id grinding that's not super-critical. Reversing direction is. It's really reliable, I've run fifty year old machines that didn't seem to have any maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ Exactly so you end up with a machine full of custom made cylinders and valves using oddball seals. No maintenance on a simple grinders one thing, try some more advanced automation were timings start to matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like an old Chevy small block oil pump, return valve set to open at about 60psi. High performance guys thought they were really doing something replacing the original spring to a heavier one getting 80 psi plus with the pump?
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah Danny VanVoorn,those are the same guys that bring their balooned oil filters back to the parts house claiming they are defective.Most oil filters will stand 200 plus psi so that tells how high the pressures can get when a relief valve sticks or 50wt oil,cold start,have to rev the engine to keep it going till it warms up.I sure miss dealing with idiots when I was in the parts business; kinda like the hang overs I miss from my drinking days!

Back on topic I meant to add that any hydraulic solenoid valves WILLEO6709 intends to use be sure not to use pilot operated use direct solenoid valves for low pressure.

By the way a schematic of what you want to do will not betray what your apparatus is.I doubt that you,me or anybody else has cone up with a hydraulic circuit that hasn't already been proofed years ago.It would be easier to maybe help.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    ^ Exactly so you end up with a machine full of custom made cylinders and valves using oddball seals. No maintenance on a simple grinders one thing, try some more advanced automation were timings start to matter.
    No argument there, but he hasn't told us what he's doing. If his situation is suitable for oddball stuff that doesn't need maintenance for fifty years, old-fashioned can work. If he needs high-po modern stuff, better go another way.

Personally, I'd go old-fashioned because I am sick to death of modern hi-po shit that lasts about six weeks and you can't get parts anyway because that device isn't made anymore, there's a New ! Improved ! model ! Just buy the new one !

And of course everything that goes with it because there are no mainboards built with ISA slots now, ooh, antique ! ha ha Joe come here and look at this old thing ! better get this pci-express driver card and your software that drove it haha, need to have a new "solution" written for 10k but it'll be much better, save you .003 seconds per part ! It's new ! better !

I have a camera from 1947 that works perfect and takes beautiful photos. I also have three broken worthless digitals that have minor components that "you can't get anymore" so they should go in the trash. I just have a hard time shitcanning a $500 camera because the shutter switch failed.

When you get old and grumpy, 'modern' sucks

6. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Electrical actuators!!! I've been involved in the development of an environmental test chamber recently where the lead designer switched from pneumatics to electric for raising the chamber cover for the latest version. It's for outside year round work so lots of issues like snow but with good control electronics for current limitation it should be fine. The better extension control is a big plus in this case and of course losing the compressor and valves simplifies things. More of the complexity is in the electronics but that's easy to handle.. I'm told electric actuators are getting more and more popular.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    When you get old and grumpy, 'modern' sucks
    Bass-ackwards.

We GET "old and grumpy" - often at a young age - BECAUSE so much of "modern" sucks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rcoope, if you are talking about linear motors ,not motor driven screws,that was something that I meant to bring up. They can solve a bunch of problems associated with air & hydraulics and the only thing they might leak is smoke.Turn off the power and even that magically disappears!

I started doing some research on them a few yeas ago to make a small webb guide for window film.However other things stopped the project.

Advantages are good velocity and position control and plug in power.If you need reciprocaters and not rotaters maybe they will do the job. However cost,stroke limit and force may not fit WILLEO'project.