VFD Can they run a motor at 1.5 Hz
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    1136

    Default VFD Can they run a motor at 1.5 Hz

    I have a Hermle WF3SA milling machine with the DC pancake motor destroyed beyond repair
    Now I have a VFD (Lenze ESMD222X2TXA) and want to use that with a 1400RPM 50Hz 2.2Kw motor I have
    Problem is the huge ratio between lowest and highest speed
    The motor should run between 30 and 3000rpm resulting in about 2Hz to 210Hz
    We hooked up the VFD but we could not get it under about 4 Hz We were thinking perhaps with a 10turn potmeter we could get better results
    But anyway at the lowest speed the motor started to stutter Turned very irregulary
    My question :
    Is 1 Hz possible and what would it need

    I also looked into a stepper motor but the 3000rpm seems to be a problem with these
    Also a 2.2 Kw will not be cheap I suppose

    Peter

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    4,464
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    1004

    Default

    You will have negligible torque available to do any work at extremely low frequencies, so even if you could get a stable 2 Hz, it would, IME, not be useful. What sort of work would you anticipate doing on a milling machine, where the spindle takes 2 seconds to go around once? If coarse pitch tapping, you are quite SOL, owing to no torque.

    Regards.

    Mike

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    16,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1300
    Likes (Received)
    2407

    Default

    You MIGHT be able to get it to go.... Look for a torque boost function, which is more common on VFDs that are intended for HVAC applications.

    HOWEVER....

    There is no reason to do that low speed, because the power available at that point is going to be very small, the motor will not do much useful work. Assuming that the torque (motor current) can be kept constant, then the power would be proportional to RPM, and that means something around 1/800 of the actual motor rated power will be available.

    You would be far better advised to put in (if it is not already there) a belt or gear system to allow the motor to run faster at slow cutter speeds. (I assume this is a spindle motor).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    1136

    Default

    No it is not a spindle motor Its a powerfeed motor
    As far as I understood torque is constant on a VFD Thats what you need with powerfeed too
    At the lowest setting I could get it had enough torque to function Only that was too fast and stutters then

    It is a replacement for a DC motor and it fits in the same position
    If I make a reduction(difficult BTW) the upper frequency goes up too Can I run that motor at 200Hz ??? at 5600RPM ???

    Peter

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    222
    Likes (Received)
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    I have a Hermle WF3SA milling machine with the DC pancake motor destroyed beyond repair
    Now I have a VFD (Lenze ESMD222X2TXA) and want to use that with a 1400RPM 50Hz 2.2Kw motor I have
    Problem is the huge ratio between lowest and highest speed
    The motor should run between 30 and 3000rpm resulting in about 2Hz to 210Hz
    We hooked up the VFD but we could not get it under about 4 Hz We were thinking perhaps with a 10turn potmeter we could get better results
    But anyway at the lowest speed the motor started to stutter Turned very irregulary
    My question :
    Is 1 Hz possible and what would it need

    I also looked into a stepper motor but the 3000rpm seems to be a problem with these
    Also a 2.2 Kw will not be cheap I suppose

    Peter
    I had that exact problem a couple of times. The only good solution I found was a NEMA42 stepper motor and drive and a VFC110 based oscillator. The oscillator sends pulses to the drive, drive moves the motor. You have full torque from standstill - it's the nature of steppers. And you can do one revolution per hour should you need.. The VFC110 oscillator is easy to make - just a couple of compenents and a pot to adjust the frequency. A NEMA42 stepper has COLOSSAL torque. Here's an example :

    1PC Nema42HS946 Stepper Motor 177oz-in=12.5N.m 5.5A CNC machine 2 phase | eBay

    Look for a 2-3 stack NEMA42 with an under 5A current - makes the drive much cheaper.

    The max rpm you'll get from the stepper is around 1200 and ( !) depending on the quality of the drive you will get some resonance at certain speeds. I did not find that to be an issue.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    1136

    Default

    Yes but not the max rpm that I need
    And if I put a transmission in between I need a motor with 2.5 times the torque Thats once more €€€€€

    Perhaps I better find another DC motor
    The driver thats in the milling machine might be still oke
    I need a 170volts 2,2kw 3000rpm

    Peter

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    FINLAND
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    385

    Default

    Should be easy piece of cake with one of the better vfd's

    Not sure about your vfd, don't want to attempt reading the manual on phone screen.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    222
    Likes (Received)
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Yes but not the max rpm that I need
    And if I put a transmission in between I need a motor with 2.5 times the torque Thats once more €€€€€

    Perhaps I better find another DC motor
    The driver thats in the milling machine might be still oke
    I need a 170volts 2,2kw 3000rpm

    Peter
    Peter, are you sure you need that much speed on the feeds ??

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    1136

    Default

    Yes we need that 3000rpm to meet the technical data for this machine
    Thats for the rapids


    Peter

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    1136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Should be easy piece of cake with one of the better vfd's

    Not sure about your vfd, don't want to attempt reading the manual on phone screen.
    Lenze is a good brand This VFD I bought about 10 years ago new and never used it
    My guts tell me a puls generator could help to reduce the stuttering
    Am I right ???

    Peter

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    FINLAND
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Lenze is a good brand This VFD I bought about 10 years ago new and never used it
    My guts tell me a puls generator could help to reduce the stuttering
    Am I right ???

    Peter
    pulse generator/tachometer might do the trick or upgrading to sumthing like ABB ACS800 series with direct torque control (DTC). Not 100% sure how low speed the you could get with the DTC drives without feedback, afaik around 1-2hz. And with feedback full torque down to zero speed.
    ABB's DTC drives biggest negative is probably the price.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    1136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    pulse generator/tachometer might do the trick or upgrading to sumthing like ABB ACS800 series with direct torque control (DTC). Not 100% sure how low speed the you could get with the DTC drives without feedback, afaik around 1-2hz. And with feedback full torque down to zero speed.
    ABB's DTC drives biggest negative is probably the price.
    Can you tell me if this one will do the trick ???
    https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/hobby-en-vrije-tijd/elektronica-componenten/m1194035333-abb-frequentieregelaar-3kw.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previou sPage=lr&pos=24

    Peter

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    222
    Likes (Received)
    151

    Default

    It's very difficult to tell if it'll do the trick w/o reading the manual and actually trying. I have around 12 VFD's and NONE will go down that low with any significant torque. The problem you are having is very common with Maho milling machines and the solution I gave you works. But Maho has a 2nd motor for the rapids. I'd then use a gearbox and run the motor at 6000 rpm for the rapids. The very fancy VFD's can run brushless servos and a couple of other motor types. Pain to set up but might be worth the trouble. Check Omron ones.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    FINLAND
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Can you tell me if this one will do the trick ???
    AFAIK it should do.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    1136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    AFAIK it should do.
    For that price I better buy it then

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    711
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    583

    Default

    I have used a Hitachi SJ200 drive to run an 1800 rpm motor at 18 rpm less than 1hz using sensorless vector mode. I was driving a piston pump through a worm gear reducer where the load varied as the pump crank stroked. I used a 2 hp motor instead of the 1/2 hp the pump was rated for to keep the torque up. The wj200 can also use a tachometer to provide even better speed regulation.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    8,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4493
    Likes (Received)
    3792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    replacement for a DC motor
    Nothing at all wrong with your command of the English language Peter, but if that has to be direct-drive, armature at 1:1 with load, what you just described is an "oxymoron". AKA a contradiction in terms.

    UNLESS.. you can use an AC motor with a SERIOUSLY high pole-count.

    And/or AC "Torque motor" construction. EG: Hold that torque indefinitely at stalled rotor, no fuss, no drama. Closers for common lift doors the example encountered daily, but seldom seen. Variac or even just a healthy Rheostat was all they needed added for flexibility. Line frequency the whole time.

    VFD'ed 24 pole would be a good start if you have to work at low, or even fractional RPM in direct-drive, 12 pole "maybe", 8 pole not likely even with the VFD's help.

    "Set your sights higher!" Ceiling fan motors tell that tale. As do Servos. Not new.

    Cheap as AC+VFD or Servos have become, when you still encounter Dee Cee at all, there is usually a very good reason it is where it is.

    Some earlier "pioneer" trying what you are trying simply got fewer Apache arrows in his arse with DC than AC.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    1136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garyhlucas View Post
    I have used a Hitachi SJ200 drive to run an 1800 rpm motor at 18 rpm less than 1hz using sensorless vector mode. I was driving a piston pump through a worm gear reducer where the load varied as the pump crank stroked. I used a 2 hp motor instead of the 1/2 hp the pump was rated for to keep the torque up. The wj200 can also use a tachometer to provide even better speed regulation.
    Did it turn smoothly at 1Hz or did it stutter I would imagen you could see the rotor jump from one magnetic field to the other every second
    Peter

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    8,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4493
    Likes (Received)
    3792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Did it turn smoothly at 1Hz or did it stutter I would imagen you could see the rotor jump from one magnetic field to the other every second
    Peter
    Well 3-Phases splitting that 1 Hz, bit of a helix twisted-in already as well to smooth transitions in any case, so not as bad as a LEDEX rotary solenoid at least! Nor as powerful.

    DC motor would need foresight of type choice as well. 10EE's sacrifices efficiency (low 70%) with four poles PLUS four inter-poles, four brushes rather than two, and a winding interleave that smooths the hand-off to very much finer granularity, if you will, than "ordinary" DC motors.

    That old 10EE motor would also cost about as much as an entire new lathe, if not more, South Korea or Taiwan's Mori-clones as a yardstick. Comparable 'vanilla', not even Type T, Reliance DC start at over $11,000 anyway, per their website.

    Challenge you described sounds like servo turf, not ordinary motors, either AC or DC.

    Or an electrically shifted planetary gearset?

    Or TWO motors? One for creep, the other for slew? That might be less-costly than gears, not hard to select electrically in CNC, or by handwheel switch or sensor. Each motor then optimized for its work.

    Might share a common output shaft, 'stacked'?

    And.. Per Lybarger's Corollary, there isn't any b****y SPACE yah?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    FINLAND
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexO View Post
    The very fancy VFD's can run brushless servos and a couple of other motor types. Pain to set up but might be worth the trouble. Check Omron ones.
    I'd classify ABB's DTC drives pretty much to "very fancy" category. Close to AC servo performance with induction motor. And besides it seems to be made in correct country

    On trade shows they used to have big motor with half meter lever directly on the shaft and you could try arm-wrestling with that "thing". Position hold at zero speed and full torque.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •