What's new
What's new

Automated Door

dstryr

Diamond
Has anyone here done a simple auto-door conversion for their CNC?
Looking into what you did and how well it worked. Both automation company and machine tool MFG want to sell me a $7k auto door. I'm thinking this could be done for under $1000 and use the extra money towards more pallets for the automation system.

I'm thinking either Air cylinder with some sort of "cushion" at the end of the stroke or a small motor to drive the door open and closed.
Looking for help! :)

Edit: Door stroke is 36 inches.

Get a rodless air cylinder with cushions.
I would use the magnetic drive like the FESTO DGO series...no contamination issues and easy to integrate.

You are own for safety and integration with your controls.

I'm going to leave the existing door interlock in place. The cylinder will just moove the door open and closed. Going to use an m-code to fire it. The automation system is just an Erowa robot so safety should be fine. Its not like a fanuc or kawasaki robot where it can move wherever and hurt someone. Its fully enclosed and just moves in 1 direction...towards the machine.

I would make sure you have a prox switch set up to confirm that the door is 100% open so the Erowa loader doesn't proceed it the door for some reason failed to open all the way.

I would make sure you have a prox switch set up to confirm that the door is 100% open so the Erowa loader doesn't proceed it the door for some reason failed to open all the way.

The cylinder Miguels recommended has the switches.
https://www.festo.com/net/SupportPortal/Files/43090/DGO-.pdf

I feel like a noob lol. I can do 5 axis shit but automation/building onto the machine scares the shit out of me for some reason.

Just for simplicity I'll prob just make it controllable on the factory unlock button. Just have the cylinder open and control the door all the time instead of having the option to do it manually.

As a matter of reference, use open center valves so it cna be moved by hand when the air is off.
Also, the FESTO will be working when roaches rule the earth and is a more compact solution, but other people make a similar solution if your needs don't merit the price adder for badassness.

As a matter of reference, use open center valves so it cna be moved by hand when the air is off.
Also, the FESTO will be working when roaches rule the earth and is a more compact solution, but other people make a similar solution if your needs don't merit the price adder for badassness.

Ballpark on that unit?

The M code would need to be in the robot eh?
If you are leaving the interlock intact - I doubt that your machine will start in AUTO mode with the door open, so no way to fire the M code on it;s own control.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The M code would need to be in the robot eh?
If you are leaving the interlock intact - I doubt that your machine will start in AUTO mode with the door open, so no way to fire the M code on it;s own control.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Door open button will feed the cylinder.
Then the robot needs to signal to close the door .

Thats what I'm thinking atleast?

The cylinder I would use for this is called a Sine cylinder, it has built in acceleration and deceleration at each end and gives very smooth control of moving objects. I use SMC stuff but I guess others have too.

Back