What's new
What's new

1950's ? Schaublin 102TO, a couple of questions

Crank

Aluminum
Just picked up a Schaublin 102TO from most likely the 1950's (sn# 110104). It has the back-geared headstock set up for the W20 collets, the 150mm compound and the "sightglass" style tailstock. If I read the info I found correctly, the headstock should be designed to operate up to 3000RPM.
I also got the grinding carriage, a twin post rapid feed production carriage, a 3 jaw chuck and a magnetic chuck (never saw one before). The motor is the original 380V, 1.5kw and it came with a transformer to step it up from 220V 3ph.
I swear there is more weight tied up in the electrical than the lathe itself. As I most likely will never use the grinding unit, is there any advantage to the original motor, other than the grinding pulley and integral mount? I am considering retrofitting it with a conventional motor to tidy things up.
I have a full size lathe for any heavy work, so this one will be for small jobs only, so should I consider going to a smaller <2hp motor? Considering your average 9" SB rarely needs over 1hp, it makes you think. Should I consider a VFD or a DC motor conversion with a speed control?
Your thoughts will be appreciated and I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks

Mark

Sounds a lot like my setup with the exception that my motor is 220 2 speed 3 phase motor. I have 3 phase so never contemplated changing the motor bur you might find it difficult to work with the pulley transmision. Probably depends on what you'de be using the lathe for but I pretty much run evrything in collets about 1800 rpm for small stuff and with all the speed options don't find the need for variable speed.

Todd

Todd,
The motor for this is a also two speed unit, but the transformer is a chunk that weighs twice as much as the motor. You make a good point, I tend to have a few speeds I settle on for most work and the variable speed is probably a luxury. A belt swap is not a hardship for the occasional speed change. I have a 10HP RPC, so 3ph doesn't pose an issue, but I may just pop on a boring 110V 1HP Dayton that I freshened up with a new set of bearings and runs nice and quiet. I appreciate your input.
Thanks

Mark

Just wanted to ask this again since no one has provided an answer yet, does anyone know what the maximum speed that the spindle operates at? All of the literature that I have seen is vague (around 3000RPM?). I want to set up a 3ph motor with a VFD to tidy up the excessive amount of equipment, since the original wood bench was ruined and all of the electrical is in a big heavy pile. If I can get a maximum operating RPM for the spindle, I can sort the math out for a pulley and motor.
Thanks

Mark

Back