What's new
What's new

3/4 HP Sheldon 5x25 lathe

SirRage

Aluminum
I recently bought a lathe to learn on and didn't mind getting something smaller than I really wanted at the time. Now that I have it and have it setup I'm wondering what would be good to turn on it. I will admit getting into low and high gear looks like a pain in the ass because it's a linked vbelt and I don't see any way of changing speeds without break the belt and reassembling it.

As far as material goes I would like to be able to work with cast iron, steel, and brass. Brass is easy so I imagine that won't be an issue. I do have some carbid cutters. I just wonder with the 3/4 HP motor how well the machine will do for these harder materials. I guess I won't be taking deep cuts.

Even though it is a little smaller than I wanted it is a nice lathe. The previous owner must have rebuilt it because the bed ways looked like they were recently put through a shaper and flaked.

Updates:
It's a 10.125" swing (Series XL) with 1" collet capacity.

Adding some photos:
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I recently bought a lathe to learn on and didn't mind getting something smaller than I really wanted at the time. Now that I have it and have it setup I'm wondering what would be good to turn on it. I will admit getting into low and high gear looks like a pain in the ass because it's a linked vbelt and I don't see any way of changing speeds without break the belt and reassembling it.

As far as material goes I would like to be able to work with cast iron, steel, and brass. Brass is easy so I imagine that won't be an issue. I do have some carbid cutters. I just wonder with the 3/4 HP motor how well the machine will do for these harder materials. I guess I won't be taking deep cuts.

Even though it is a little smaller than I wanted it is a nice lathe. The previous owner must have rebuilt it because the bed ways looked like they were recently put through a shaper and flaked.

5" x 25"? Sounds as if you are using European-style nomenclature - eg swing radius rather than swing diameter.

Most of us are more familiar with Sheldon's as starting at 10" swing, nominal.

What have you actually got there?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/index.html

Wrong forum, but you don't move the link belt.
The belt on the right side is the one you move...lift up on that shiny black knob to release tension to move it.

Also fair chance it is an ex military machine and has a d1-3 spindle with a 1.250" bore...will not take 5C through the spindle but was supplied with a Hardinge/Sjogren chuck for 5C collets.

Edit- or is that an L spindle???

Flip open the top headstock cover, it has back gears.
The black knob on the handle, for changing v-belt and rpm.
10" Sheldon, usually the army manual is available on the net.
John

Wrong forum, but you don't move the link belt.
The belt on the right side is the one you move...lift up on that shiny black knob to release tension to move it.

Ah, I thought this was the forum for most lathes. The belt on the left has a high and low shim on it. The little handle in the middle releases tension for the black belt that is used for adjusting speeds, but I don't see a way of adjusting the first drive belt. Some models have a flat belt on the high and low and you can pull the belt off. Not so much here.

Ah, I thought this was the forum for most lathes. The belt on the left has a high and low shim on it. The little handle in the middle releases tension for the black belt that is used for adjusting speeds, but I don't see a way of adjusting the first drive belt. Some models have a flat belt on the high and low and you can pull the belt off. Not so much here.

A Moderator can move this thread into a more appropriate forum. Or you can just abandon it and start over.

Shifting belt - that will be the one on the multi-step "cone" pulleys - may simply need a crud-clean-up and some adjustment. Or a different belt length.

Very sound and capable light lathe design, BTW. "Condition" - a separate animal from design - doesn't look bad, either. You can do a great many things with it, and in high alloy steels, Cast Iron, or even the tougher Bronzes - not just plastic, Brass, or shiney-wood.

??? There are not steps for the left side belt....you have 8 speeds, 4 open belt(high),and 4 in backgear(Low)
It's a really nice little lathe, as mentioned look up "Sheldon Army manual pdf" and familiarize yourself with the layout....make sure you understand how to use the backgears.

??? There are not steps for the left side belt....you have 8 speeds, 4 open belt(high),and 4 in backgear(Low).

And.. it isn't rocket insemination to ADD a two-step option in place of the single where that left-side first stage pulley is.

It is in the higher RPM, lower-torque end of the drivetrain. It would need only about four "ribs worth" of poly VEE/ MicroVee AKA "serpentine" belting on easily grooved pulleys.

16 speeds, up from 8, are within an inexpensive grasp.

Some close-ups of belt pulley system. The high/low pully moves in unison with the motor when you pull up on the leiver. So the tention on that pully doesn't change. So I guess you have to use a wrench to lossen the motor in order to go from high to low? Unless I'm missing something.

Edited: Rotated images... looked fine on my computer before uploading.
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Some close-ups of belt pulley system. The high/low pully moves in unison with the motor when you pull up on the leiver. So the tention on that pully doesn't change. So I guess you have to use a wrench to lossen the motor in order to go from high to low? Unless I'm missing something.

View attachment 218452

View attachment 218453

View attachment 218454

I would have a fix sorted Real Soon Now were it mine.

Seems you DO already have two ratios on the first stage system and motor. That silly segmented "placebo" belt needs to be replaced with a proper vee belt - probably in "A" section.

Go read the manual. Undo the previous owner bubbafication and you should have your 16-speeds.

That is interesting...that gives you 16 speeds....gotta admit I have not seen that on a Sheldon E drive....what does your speed chart list? I did see a reference to a 16 speed before just never actually saw one...

Does that black knob release the tension on the left side one too??
You got me. I suspect ditching the link belt for a standard v belt will make it much easier to move....

Now I really like your little Sheldon!

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2133/15051.pdf
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2133/3556.pdf

Not your "exact" model in the links but should get you by.

Lucky you, two speeds off the motor pulleys.
Spindle nose should take a 5-C adapter and collet.

Oiling Chart.jpgSpeed Change.jpgE-Drive.jpgHeadstock cutaway.jpgHeadstock.jpg
Should be two Timkin roller bearings in the headstock.
John

According to this youtube video, it looks like the lathe has 16 speeds ranging from 50 to 1600 RPM. The pully on his model is flat which makes moving the belt easier but I imagine with the right belt and tension I should be alright.

Back