What's new
What's new

Anyone know Schaublin parts seller Ray Kehrhahn ? He seems to be MIA

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
after cashing my check for a Schaublin 102N lever collet closer. Many emails and phone calls are not returned.....

FWIW, I have finally heard back from him....will post again when I receive the item.

Milacron

I purchased a Schaublin mill from him 6 weeks ago and I have not heard from him in 10 days, I've been VERY worried. I hope I hear from him.

I purchased a Schaublin mill from him 6 weeks ago and I have not heard from him in 10 days, I've been VERY worried. I hope I hear from him.
From talk on other sites he seems to come thru in the end but goes dark for long periods after getting the money. Always the excuse of being away, vacation or "projects". In 2016 that is no excuse....you go away and unless in a tent in the wilderness you have cell service...but often even there you have cell service. Every hotel has a phone, most have WiFi. Lack of communication to someone that has given you money, only legit excuse is a death in family or unexpected hospitalization. If not unconscious even the hospital is no excuse after few days. How much money is involved ?

email me at [email protected] if you want to talk off site

I want to post the details of my experience with Ray Kehrhahn. My situation does not look good but it is very similar to what I’m reading. I’m afraid I’ve been taken. Like others I found Ray to be quite enjoyable to talk to early on (I’ve not spoken to him since June).
Ray put a Schaublin 13 on Ebay middle of June, I bid on it but then he pulled it (I should have quit there), he had his number on the listing and said he’d entertain a buy it now, so I called (2nd mistake). He wanted $5500.00 which didn’t run me off, coming with a complete dividing attachment & vert head, orig finish, some tooling. I have a nice S13 w/ highspeed head & univ table so nice pair I thought. Struck a deal and paid thru paypal but…(third mistake).
The last call from him was after he told me it would be shipped Fastenal. He said he was driving it down because he had several machines to deliver to Dallas and I’m in Austin. At that point, I was fine with it and I looked forward to showing him my mandolin making shop and visiting. Last word from him was July 25 about his emergency and how he’d see me Friday. Numerous emails & phone calls ignored. I start legal action Wed.
I pasted condensed version of the email string below.
Tom Ellis
>> From: Ray Kehrhahn <[email protected]>
>> To: Tom Ellis <[email protected]>
>> Sent: Friday, June 24, 2016 1:02 PM
>> Just and FYI, Paypal has a hold on the funds you sent me.. You need to let them know that you are responsible for arranging shipping.. I also let them know..
>> Have a great weekend..
>> Regards
>> Ray
>> On Jun 24, 2016, at 2:54 PM, Tom Ellis <[email protected]> wrote:
>> went to paypal, looks to be all squared away now, I think. I saw a shipping paid entry for today in the details

>> On Jun 27, 2016, at 9:17 AM, Ray Kehrhahn <[email protected]> wrote:
> Good morning Tom,
> I’m not sure what was up with the paypal payment. I have never had an issue receiving payments with my account. They were not crediting your payment for some reason.
> I have returned it to you.
> Please instead do a wire transfer. Here is my account information
> Webster Bank
> 137 Bank Street
> Waterbury, Connecticut 06702
> Bank routing number -
> Account number -
> Account name:
> Ray Kehrhahn
> 51 Orchard Ave
> Woodbury CT 06798
> If you have any other questions, please call.
> Thanks, and sorry for the hassle..
> I will be checking with the Waterbury CT Fastenal store to see if their Fork lift is back.. I also have other quotes coming in today for shipping.
> Regards
> Ray
> Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 11:30 AM
> Subject: Update - Fork lift is back at the Waterbury CT store --- for shipping your Schaublin 13
> Tom,
> The fork lift is back at the Waterbury CT Fastenal Center. So if you complete the arrangements, We will be able to drop off the crate at the store..
> Any questions, please call.
> Regards
> Ray
> 860 716 4489 Cell

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 12:04 PM, Tom Ellis <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ray,
> I think we should be all set. Heres the paperwork attached.
Jun 30 at 12:13 PM
Tom,
Thanks, this is what is needed.
I will now arrange to drop off the crate at the Waterbury Store. Most likely it will be Tuesday, as Monday is a Holiday.
When it is dropped off, A transfer sheet is generated and I will scan and forward that to you..
Have a good Holiday weekend..
Regards
Ray

Ray Kehrhahn <[email protected]>
Jul 13 at 10:47 AM
Ton,
Just a quick note that I’m working on the timing of trip to Dallas and Austin, Looking like I’m leaving on the evening of the 19th.. I will keep you upto date..
Lined up a co-driver so that trip will be easier on this old guy…
Thanks
Ray
Ray Kehrhahn
51 Orchard Ave.
Woodbury CT 06798
860 716 4489
[email protected]

Schaublin 13 and I Will be leaving on Wednesday
Ray Kehrhahn <[email protected]>
Jul 25 at 4:04 PM
Tom,
I had a family emergency ( here in n Maine) and am now headed back.. I will be home later tomorrow, and we will be leaving on Wednesday, later in the day for Texas.. I look to arrive at your place on Friday later in the day
Service is hard to find up here, so apologize for not getting this info to you sooner. Frankly though it has been an extremely trying time..
Regards
Ray

For clarity, let me restate that I talked with Ray last Thursday about the collet closer I bought so we know he is alive and well enough to correspond and travel to the UPS station. Of course 90 percent chance he only called because he read my inquires about him here or on the Schaublin Yahoo Group or both.

He sent photos via text of my collet closer in the box and UPS tracking number on Friday morning....so I know something is in transit from him....could be a brick for all I know...but something is on the way.

The point it, we know from this, he is purposely avoiding/ignoring Tom.... and Tom is potentially out way more money than I would have been, so we need to do something here to help. Any members in Woodbury, CT area that can check on his location and if he really has a shop ? 51 Orchard Ave is where I sent my check.

I notice he currently has a very nice looking Aciera F1 mill on Craigs List in that area.....perhaps inquire about that and see if he responds...the mill may or may not actually exist but could lead to something. Of course he's probably reading this and will be wary.

I will have more to say on this if Tom doesn't get a refund soon. In fact if he doesn't it will be the end of Ray's selling days.

Isn't Al Babin in CT ? What is it about CT and erratic used machine tool sellers ?

I don't know the guy you are talking about and I've had my bad experience with people too. One of which I wrote about in the General forum. Water under the bridge.

But while smaller annoyances are probably normal to a degree, I did also have one very bad experience with someone not that long ago, who I would have called a personal friend until he screwed me out of around 4000 €. This guy used to be on the Deckel forum sometimes and I sold him a machine here in Germany. Being friends we had nothing in writing and I shipped the machine to him for him to pay as he sold it on. He had a customer for it already and he sold it on immediately to him (he even told me about the handsome profit). He just never got around to paying me. Check was always in the mail. It was comical in a sad way. I was embarrassed to keep mailing him and about his answered. I then gave up.
I never got my money and we are no longer friends or have contact. I do not have that many personal friends that close, so the monetary loss is almost secondary.
I am sure he did not pre-plan getting me screwed and I guess he needed the money, but he was never open about it either. Last I heard he was screwing customers of his, some of which went to his place to collect money in person. There are rumors floating around about him. Unbearable is that in public (the internet) he is always acting like god vested all knowledge only on him, and he is the best in everything.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just griping because of the painfully disappointing memories.....

This discussion has me wondering if I should be more careful when buying used equipment around Europe. So far so good but there is always a good bit of trust required. I like to talk to the sellers and visit if possible although it is not always easy to justify traveling down to Europe on short notice. The British, German, Swiss, Swedish and Dutch sellers I have worked with have all been responsible, responsive and as far as I can tell trustworthy but perhaps I have been lucky. It is always a bit stressful to send a pile of money to someone via wire as there is no simple recourse as there is when you buy something with credit card. It seems like established dealers in Europe take their reputations seriously but surely there are some bad apples out there. The only time I have had problems was when selling on Ebay (who screwed me over by siding with a lying buyer) which insures I will never use either Ebay or Paypal again.

L

I will never use either Ebay or Paypal again.

I'm not in any sort of 'intimate' relationship with either one. In their defense, however, for most folks they are a great deal lower-risk than first-time out of the gate 'wired' funds to a total stranger. Do your homework. What info is on eBay can be checked outside of it as well.

Don't like what you see or hear? Buy from someone else you DO like the looks of.
Nothing new about that. It applied to street markets in Sumer before the flood.

Now your keyboard can do the walking in minutes instead of bare feet in hours, days, or weeks.

Progress of sorts. Warts and all.

Bill

I don't know the guy you are talking about and I've had my bad experience with people too. One of which I wrote about in the General forum. Water under the bridge.

But while smaller annoyances are probably normal to a degree, I did also have one very bad experience with someone not that long ago, who I would have called a personal friend until he screwed me out of around 4000 €. This guy used to be on the Deckel forum sometimes and I sold him a machine here in Germany. Being friends we had nothing in writing and I shipped the machine to him for him to pay as he sold it on. He had a customer for it already and he sold it on immediately to him (he even told me about the handsome profit). He just never got around to paying me. Check was always in the mail. It was comical in a sad way. I was embarrassed to keep mailing him and about his answered. I then gave up.
I never got my money and we are no longer friends or have contact. I do not have that many personal friends that close, so the monetary loss is almost secondary.
I am sure he did not pre-plan getting me screwed and I guess he needed the money, but he was never open about it either. Last I heard he was screwing customers of his, some of which went to his place to collect money in person. There are rumors floating around about him. Unbearable is that in public (the internet) he is always acting like god vested all knowledge only on him, and he is the best in everything.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just griping because of the painfully disappointing memories.....

Martin, is it possible to post his name so other members know its buyer beware when dealing with him?

Kevin

Ray - If your head is not buried in the sand and you are reading this.... I don't know if you know what SEO is but this forum is pretty powerful in that regard....this thread is already at the top of page two if someone Google's your name. if you don't refund Tom's money (including his wire transfer cost) I'm going to make efforts to ensure you are at the top of page one for years to come.

Starting with getting this discussion over to the General Forum, which gets infinitely more traffic than this Schaublin Forum.. Also we can enlist a group to flag any of your Craig's List ads as bogus and your eBay account can become problematic as well.

If you change your seller name, someone here will figure that out pretty quickly and I'll publish that as well.

I absolutely despise cheats in this regard as besides the moral issues, it makes it harder on all of us to conduct remote sales transactions due to damage of trust.

I'm not in any sort of 'intimate' relationship with either one. In their defense, however, for most folks they are a great deal lower-risk than first-time out of the gate 'wired' funds to a total stranger. Do your homework. What info is on eBay can be checked outside of it as well.

Don't like what you see or hear? Buy from someone else you DO like the looks of.
Nothing new about that. It applied to street markets in Sumer before the flood.

Now your keyboard can do the walking in minutes instead of bare feet in hours, days, or weeks.

Progress of sorts. Warts and all.
Yes, one of Tom's mistakes was NOT insisting on paying by Paypal and/or buying the machine via the eBay system. If he had used Paypal, they would be on his (Ray's) case as well. Of course he tried to do just that, but (understandably) fell for Ray's excuse and wired the funds.

I have met Ray more than a few times,he's been to my shop and I was just at his place in CT a few months back picking up an Aciera F1 I bought from him.I've also bought a few expensive things from him on ebay.He did have that F1 for sale here a few days ago and I spoke with him about it but it's been removed here.He's even went out of his way to bring me back some machines from New Jersey at no charge.I did have a few problems I wasn't expecting with the F1 but Ray made it right with me.

I don't think he's out to rip anyone off and I know he's had some health issues,I do agree he should be on the ball and responding to customers when there's money involved but like I said from what I know of him he's not a crook so hopefully he makes it right.

OK, so he is your hero, get him on the phone and make sure he gets the refunds straight away.

I have met Ray more than a few times,he's been to my shop and I was just at his place in CT a few months back picking up an Aciera F1 I bought from him.I've also bought a few expensive things from him on ebay.He did have that F1 for sale here a few days ago and I spoke with him about it but it's been removed here.He's even went out of his way to bring me back some machines from New Jersey at no charge.I did have a few problems I wasn't expecting with the F1 but Ray made it right with me.

I don't think he's out to rip anyone off and I know he's had some health issues,I do agree he should be on the ball and responding to customers when there's money involved but like I said from what I know of him he's not a crook so hopefully he makes it right.
I think what has happened is he was better at this buying and selling business then than he is now... people deteriorate sometimes. Since I opened this can of worms, I have gotten emails and talked on the phone and heard other stories like yours but I have also heard some stories where there is no doubt in my mind he would have NEVER come thru without threats of legal action.

So far, Tom is the only one that never got his machine (or money back) and he may yet get it. But there have been too many instances where he has to be badgered and badgered and threatened to get their machine....and too many instances of zero response to multiple upon multiple emails, voicemails, texts asking when and where on their purchased machine. It's just not the way to transact business.

I think what has happened is he was better at this buying and selling business then than he is now... people deteriorate sometimes. Since I opened this can of worms, I have gotten emails and talked on the phone and heard other stories like yours but I have also heard some stories where there is no doubt in my mind he would have NEVER come thru without threats of legal action.

So far, Tom is the only one that never got his machine (or money back) and he may yet get it. But there have been too many instances where he has to be badgered and badgered and threatened to get their machine....and too many instances of zero response to multiple upon multiple emails, voicemails, texts asking when and where on their purchased machine. It's just not the way to transact business.

Yeah I've seen a few big sellers go down fast, I'll stay out it.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by timeseeker I have met Ray more than a few times,he's been to my shop and I was just at his place in CT a few months back picking up an Aciera F1 I bought from him.I've also bought a few expensive things from him on ebay.He did have that F1 for sale here a few days ago and I spoke with him about it but it's been removed here. .
Yeah I removed it....don't want anyone dealing with such an erratic individual via an ad on this site.

Yikes..hope old Ray isn't in the hospital in a vegetative coma while his credit and character are being burned at the stake. Maybe Hospice would have a lead on all the Schaublin parts and pieces.:o

Erratic Stu

Yikes..hope old Ray isn't in the hospital in a vegetative coma while his credit and character are being burned at the stake. Maybe Hospice would have a lead on all the Schaublin parts and pieces.:o

Erratic Stu
read post no. 6 dumbass

Here is an update to my situation, yesterday 8/8/16, Ray emailed photos of my milling machine in the crate and the shipping transfer docs. Fastenal confirms and the machine is already on its way to the Fastenal hub in Indiana on to Austin. 3 people here (& yahoo forum) went above and beyond for me and I will be forever grateful. Tom

Back