What's new
What's new

Graziano Sag 14 apron leak

Prototype

Aluminum
Hi,

I've got a bit of an oil leak from the the apron of my Graziano SAG14.

I think the leak from the seal for the feed rod but I'm not sure. The drip point seems to be from the drain plug but I sure the drain plug is well sealed.

Here is a link to a picture of this great lathe.

http://www.me.uvic.ca/~rbrougha/Graziano%20SAG14.jpg

I wonder if anyone out there with a Graziano has run into this problem and if such a leak can be repaired without a complete teardown of the apron section. I have a partial manual with parts identified with numbers but the description of the numbered parts is missing so I can't tell from the drawing if there are seals or packing that can be replaced or adjusted??

Thanks
Ray

Hi Ray, I have same problem with my sag 12, apron sight glass is always empty and looks like the feed rod dripping down to the drain plug also. I don't know what kind of seal would work with that splined feed rod? So I just keep a squirt can handy. Jim

Hi Ray, Ditto the problem with my SAG 14. Empty sight glass and oil on the floor. Never tried to fix it, so if you find a solution please let me know.

Also ditto the great machine comment, but yours is a lot prettier.

Marty

I haven't had the urge to lay down under the apron to see exactly where the leak is coming from. Tomorrow I'll get a good look since I'm in the process of moving to a larger shop. When the SAG is sitting on the flatdeck outside in the daylight I might just see how to stop this leak. I'll let you know if I find a solution to this little problem.

Ray

I would just like to report that I fixed apron leak in my sag 12. It was guite simple as the seal for the feed rod bushing can just be pried out and a standard metric seal at bearing house for $5.00 pops righ in. The feed rod is just connected with a taper pin at the headstock and an allen screw locking mechanism on the taistock end.I procrastinated so long because my tailstock is up against the wall so I had to move the lathe to access it but you only have to pull it out a few inches. Nice to see oil in the sight glass for a change. previously it would drain down in one day. Easy fix part TCM # 35x52x7TC Jim

Back