What's new
What's new

Boley 5lz oilers

Acciaio

Plastic
I have a Boley 5lz with wick spindle oilers. Both of these are in the 'as found' condition: one has a thickish wad of wick and the other just a couple of strands. The latter always empties much faster than the former. I originally thought this was due to one bearing being worn, and causing a greater 'capillary' load, but swapping them over gives identical results.
The problem is, I have no idea which of the two is supplying the correct, or more correct, quantity of oil to the bearings. Can anyone help?

While I'm not familiar with the Boley 5LZ I am familiar with the type of oilers you mention. Do these cups have a tube coming up the center? Because if they do you want to use the couple of strands. If it is just a cup with the hole at the bottom you want to use a wad of wool.

These oiler cups have a central tube, with a fairly small internal diameter, haven't checked but by memory about 3-4 mm. Sounds like one of wicks is the wrong type. Can you recommend a type for wick for replacing both and getting same oil flow?

Back