What's new
What's new

Choosing a drilling tailstock for a Schaublin 102 - lever or star wheel?

nitromarsjipan

Plastic
Hello good people,

I've recently agreed a purchase of a used Schaublin 102. We have arrived on an approximate price and scope of delivery. I have a choice between a W25 lever operated tailstock and a W20 star wheel tail stock. I'm not quite sure which one to choose.

These are the other parts included:
A new old stock 900mm long underdrive bed (1c).
A worn W25 headstock with gear reduction and collet drawbar (105-33.000). Nose taper runout is somewhere between 5 and 15 µm.
A few W25 collets.
A good 100mm three jaw chuck.
A steady rest with rollers.
A drive pulley to match the headstock pulley. I'm bench mounting the lathe and building the remainder of the drivetrain myself.
A worn standard compound rest (102-45.000).
A tripan 111 tool post with a few holders.

The seller had no screw actuated tail stock available, so I'll get one elsewhere.

This particular combination of gear reduction headstock and 900 mm bed will leave a meagre 275mm between centres, if my assumptions are correct. It will suffice for most of the work I'll be doing. I could get a 1000 mm 102N bed instead, but it would be well worn. Would be somewhat cheaper though.

Now for the choice of drilling tail stock. There are two available:

One W25 lever operated - with about 90 mm travel - not quite sure of exact travel length,
with a W25 to MT3 adapter and a worn W25 mounted keyless chuck.
Sole has scraping marks worn away. Quill extends smoothly. Some backlash in the lever mechanism.
Blemished paint.

One W20 star wheel operated - with about 120 mm travel,
with a W20 to MT2 adapter.
Sole has scraping marks almost worn away. Quill seems smooth, but the rack and pinion is sticky once per revolution. Some backlash in the rack and pinion. Has been repainted.

Both cost the same. I'll find a revolving centre to fit the one i choose.

Having both head- and tailstock in W25 would leave me spending less for collets in the future. The W25 will hold larger tools. The W20 has substantially longer travel. The W20 might need some work to get smooth rack action.

Which should I choose?

These two are of the same design of the ones available to me:
schaublin225.jpg

tailstock.jpg

Last edited:

Back