What's new
What's new

Converting a 102 to mechanical variable speed ?

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
Has anyone ever changed from a step pulley under drive to a variator type variable speed in a 102? I may have found a source for the parts but I think my single speed motor would be a limitation as the original variable speed models were two speed motors.

Are all the cabinets the same (other than a hole for the handle) or do the variator models have other attachments added on (this is a sheet metal cabinet from 1969) I can't tell from the catalog pictures.

I know I could put a VFD on there and get variable speed but my shop is already running fully on 380V three phase and I like to keep the machines original when possible. I already have the same type of variable speed with my big lathe (135) with a two speed motor and back gear to get the full range and my mill (a Schaublin 13) which has a single speed motor but only goes up to 2000 rpm.

Merry Christmas

Luke

Are you sure there is a Variator in there?

I have a 102 with variable speed drive and mine has what we call here in the states a Reeves drive.

Now mine is a 60's machine in a cast base so it might be different than a later one.

I think they are more or less the same thing, as in a way to have variable speed by expanding and contacting pulleys. The system in my other Schaublin machines is usually called variator but perhaps my terminology is innacurate.

I think there is only one type of system in 102's but not having seen the implementation in person I can only extrapolate from the other examples I have seen.
If you could share some photos of how it is set up that might help my understanding. The only ones I have seen are not super clear.

Thanks
L

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back