What's new
What's new

Does the Schaublin 102N *two speed* tailstock actually exist ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
See below.... left side, second from top. Has anyone here ever seen one of these on a 102N or 102N-VM ? Just wondering if I'm chasing a phantom or not.

schaublintailstocks.jpg

I've seen one. e-mail with info underway.

edit: Wouldn’t you rather have an F-64 headstock?
Not 'rather' but maybe 'also'...how on earth did you end up with that ? :) Quite a pristine background, like it's on a operating table...

Its not mine. But I do have a wandering eye. Its new!
Well, if price is right I might be interested. What might kill it for me though is it appears to run off flat belt and I need variable speed V belt groove.

I suppose at 12,500CHf + 240 per collet or 50 per used, that you'll be taking a pass on this one.

I'd be interested to know the price on the geared tailstock.

cheers
<jbc>

I just finished cleaning the 125 tailstock and put it in front of his big brother just to see the difference.

SS850928.jpg

The 125-starwheel is really cute and has at the same time a solid look.

I wonder if the 102 tailstock is complete a scale-down, or just the same mechanical parts as the 125 in smaller and lower casting?

I just finished cleaning the 125 tailstock and put it in front of his big brother just to see the difference.
The 125-starwheel is really cute and has at the same time a solid look.
I wonder if the 102 tailstock is complete a scale-down, or just the same mechanical parts as the 125 in smaller and lower casting?
Thanks for pix, they are both beautiful. I knew the 125 starwheel existed...have seen it on a few 125 photos over the years. But have *never* seen the 102N version in a photo on an actual 102. The 102N-VM brochure I have shows it on the cover...but it's a painting ! :skep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schaublin-1...580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439d4fa5fc

Luthy had a couple of single speed, old 102 style for sale. I asked if they had ever seen a 102N two speed tailstock and no reply except to say it was discontinued and you cannot even buy a new one.

Luthy had a couple of single speed, old 102 style for sale. I asked if they had ever seen a 102N two speed tailstock and no reply except to say it was discontinued and you cannot even buy a new one.

Just a followup to say Luthy finally did reply and even they have never actually seen one in real life either....but the responder did say he was certain they did produce one for a few years.

There are many many 102's sold during the years.I can't believe if a starwheel tailstock was available only a very few where sold with it.I think the starwheel tailstock is the best Schaublin invention.For the series 125/135/150 roughly 40-50% where sold with the starwheel tailstock.(my impression)So I think perhaps they produces a few prototypes, but never made it to production.Too expensive for a small Schaublin perhaps?
What about the pic on top of this tread? Isn't that a photo?

What about the pic on top of this tread? Isn't that a photo?
Yes of course, but even before Photoshop images were sometimes manipulated for brochures.

One of the worst examples of this is the 1989 Deckel brochure for the FPA series, where they somehow had the huge electrical cabinet seem to be floating in midair back there. One of the funniest examples is one of the Maho MH "W" series brochures where if you look close you can tell the basic control was painted in and not even real ! LOL..

Having said that, the Schaublin 102N brochure photo probably is real. Also interesting, on the turret page they show a seperate 2 speed starwheel (part 105-58.130), which apparently could replace the regular starwheel of the turret ! So, there is yet another Swiss ghost that apparenly no one has ever seen...a 102N full 6 position turret with 2 speed starwheel ! :bowdown:

I just posted a thread looking for input on what my 102N might be worth. I have the regular Starwheel tailstock, W25 size. I posted a photo where it shows the MT2 and Starwheel tailstocks both mounted at the same time:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...del-schaublin-102n-values-233511/#post1664822

The Starwheel tailstock is GREAT for drilling, unless you are working with very small drills or you need to control the depth to a very tight tolerance, in which case the MT2 is better.

So unless depth was critical I almost always used the Starwheel for drilling. You get a very good "feel" from the drill bit and it's much easier to control the feel rate.

I hadn't heard of this "two speed" Starwheel tailstock. How does it function?

And as for Swiss ghosts, how about the radius turning carriage that can be seen in the early 1980's Schaublin catalog? I would love to have one of those. It would have been very useful for a job that I used to do frequently that required turning an inside radius.

I hadn't heard of this "two speed" Starwheel tailstock. How does it function?
You either push in or pull out the starwheel, which will engage or disengage a planetary gear system for direct or geared feed. In geared feed mode the quill is just as resistant to retraction as a screwed quill when used for center holding duty, so it effectively elminates any need of the regular tailstock. IMHO, they should have all come with the 2 speed tailstock as standard equipment and done away with the regular tailstock.

And as for Swiss ghosts, how about the radius turning carriage that can be seen in the early 1980's Schaublin catalog

I've seen two. One was the complete attachment, NOS and sold on a Swiss auction site about a year ago. The other was once posted on this site... it was a long while ago. I think I found it in the archives once.

Are you talking about this one ? If so, I can confirm it does exist :-)

BTW Milacron, did you give up your project to convert your regular handwheel tailstock to a sensitive on ? I thought it was an interesting project.

DispositiftournerlessphresSchaublin10.jpg

The Starwheel tailstock is GREAT for drilling, unless you are working with very small drills or you need to control the depth to a very tight tolerance, in which case the MT2 is better.

So unless depth was critical I almost always used the Starwheel for drilling. You get a very good "feel" from the drill bit and it's much easier to control the feel rate.
The starwheel tailstock should have an adjustable stop that if anything would make it even more accurate for depth control. Once you have it set anyway. I suppose for "one offs" the regular tailstock might be more convenient for depth control via the magnification lens on the quill scale.

OTOH, if you need ultra precision on depth, you can even mount a dial indicator where the stop would normally go on the starwheel tailstock.

I was skeptical at first about the 2 speed tailstock use for center work but after actually using one (Schaublin 135) for both center and drilling/tapping I am a convert.

On the 135/150 I see only one reason for the regular tailstock to exist. And that is, being lighter, it can be removed by hand if you ever needed to do steady rest type work where the stock protrudes beyond the tailstock. The 2 speed is just too heavy for the average person to lift by hand.

But on the 102N, there would be no such weight issue and I therefore see no reason for the regular tailstock to even exist.... they should all have been equipped with the 2 speed tailstock. Which is ironic, considering none of us have even seen a single example of one in real life or even in photos on a lathe in a shop !! Not even Luthy has seen one ! :willy_nilly:

Last edited:
Don- There are a couple of dealers here that I've never been to but friends have, and they supposedly are quite good for digging up the more mythical and hard to find smaller Swiss machine stuff. I'll try to get their numbers this week; they are both old dudes and I imagine not hip to email (most Swiss companies seem oblivious to email- but they love their fax machines!). One is in the Solothurn area so I just hope he speaks French. If Luthy and friends haven't seen one these guys are probably the last hope.

Don- There are a couple of dealers here that I've never been to but friends have, and they supposedly are quite good for digging up the more mythical and hard to find smaller Swiss machine stuff. I'll try to get their numbers this week; they are both old dudes and I imagine not hip to email (most Swiss companies seem oblivious to email- but they love their fax machines!). One is in the Solothurn area so I just hope he speaks French. If Luthy and friends haven't seen one these guys are probably the last hope.
Sounds good Screw....this seems to be the most mythical "normal" Schaublin accessory of all. Which is so strange to me considering it's desirable qualities.

I wonder if Schaublin simply put such an outrageous price on it, no one could justify buying one ? But then why would it have been more expensive than the versions for the 125, 135 and 150, which we have seen numerous examples of ?

Back