What's new
What's new

elliott/butler 460 clutch

pressbrake1

Stainless
Hello anyone know where i can source a matrix type clutch for the above?
Im in the uk so any sources for spares being here would be ideal
Regards
Pb

Hello anyone know where i can source a matrix type clutch for the above?
Im in the uk so any sources for spares being here would be ideal
Regards
Pb

As far as I know " Matrix " are still in business as " Matrix International ".

Wether they still do that type of clutch is another story.

Quite a few British companies used " Matrix " clutches. " Colchester " lathes being one that also used " Matrix " clutches. You could try " Nobilla " in Stevenage. They do " Colchester " spares. You'll need to have more details of your clutch though.

In the past I've switched the forward and reverse clutches around when the forward clutch was worn out. I've also switched the forward clutch for the brake clutch.

Regards Tyrone.

Are the plates definitely knackered or is it just that you can't stop it turning? I have found mine to be a real pain to get just right and it isn't long before they need adjusting again ,apparently the shaft gets rusty so that the clutches don't slide as they should and they need to be stripped down and polished up to work properly .
I seem to remember someone getting clutch plates cut at the local laser cutters ,hopefully you can use some of the less worn ones as a pattern for them to scan.

Thankyou for the replys
I havent collected the machine yet
Tyrone , the clutch swap around is a good idea unless someones been there first!
Sable Ive made clutch plates for motorcycles so i may go that route

Regards

Are the plates definitely knackered or is it just that you can't stop it turning? I have found mine to be a real pain to get just right and it isn't long before they need adjusting again ,apparently the shaft gets rusty so that the clutches don't slide as they should and they need to be stripped down and polished up to work properly .
I seem to remember someone getting clutch plates cut at the local laser cutters ,hopefully you can use some of the less worn ones as a pattern for them to scan.

Yeah I've had a similar experience with the " Concorde" . The clutches need regular adjustment and they are fiddly to get just right. The linkages from the on-off lever to the clutches are many and not too well made in my opinion.

I'd say " Elliot " could have used the next size up of clutch also. The ones they fitted are a bit small for heavy cuts.

I've found that another problem with these clutches is that the edges of the clutch plates wear small steps in the faces of the clutch elements. The plates can get slightly stuck in these steps and the clutch becomes a bit sluggish to operate.

Regards Tyrone.

One last question ,all i know is that its overall length is around 10' has anyone got a manual and be able to give me a fairly accurate weight?
Regards

One last question ,all i know is that its overall length is around 10' has anyone got a manual and be able to give me a fairly accurate weight?
Regards

I used to have my own photo copied version but I gave it away when I packed in working on machine tools.

Tony's Lathes have copies for sale on - stores.lathes.co.uk

He wants £45 for a copy.

An educated guess on the weight is 2 to 2.5 tons.

One or two things I didn't like about the lathe. One was if you needed access to the feed box for repairs you had to remove the headstock first because the feed box was bolted on from inside the bed. The other was the feed box chart was very vulnerable to damage, being just the place to throw the chuck key.

I'd be surprised if this question was your last.

Regards Tyrone.

I have the manual and the weight is not in it. Sounds like yours will be 1250mm between centres which would be 9'9" overall length. I think 2.5 tonnes should be about right would be surprised if as much as 3 tonne.

I have the manual and the weight is not in it. Sounds like yours will be 1250mm between centres which would be 9'9" overall length. I think 2.5 tonnes should be about right would be surprised if as much as 3 tonne.

Yeah, if you aim for 2.5 tons with a max of 3 tons you won't go far wrong. I'm going off a fading memory but the lathe wasn't all that heavy duty and the chip tray was completely removable.

Regards Tyrone.

It will be my last question! Its been years since ive been near one so guessing weight is hard!
The machine is less than scrap money so worth it for leaving set up with a four jaw and from memory a better machine than a colchester

It will be my last question! Its been years since ive been near one so guessing weight is hard!
The machine is less than scrap money so worth it for leaving set up with a four jaw and from memory a better machine than a colchester

Mm, I'd rather have a " Colchester " myself but others on here would agree with you. Be careful with the lift, they're more top heavy than most other lathes.

Regards Tyrone.

Machine was delivered today ...buying blind cos its cheap isnt the best idea as the old saying cheap aint good and good aint cheap comes to mind !
Dirtiest lathe ive ever encountered but bed seems good
No lock up on clutches as i was told
But there is no drive from feed box which really drains my loins and half nut lever is solid

I think the beds on these must be super hard and that is what I really like about mine ,it is in a bit of a state in many ways but it is dead accurate mainly due to the condition of the bed.

I used a friend's Colchester Triumph 2000 recently and the clutch seemed a bit slow, according to another friend, on examination, it turned out the drive belts hadn't been changed since new and two had disintegrated and the last was a bit of string with some rubber hanging off it. A set of new belts and a quick adjust of the clutch and it ran like new.

Bit of progress
Feed box off and repaired , came off very easily four bolts behind electric box and one on headstock
I got lucky with that as it was just a couple gears that had moved out of position and a couple of bearings on the leadscrew output
Matrix still do clutch plates , i got them to send me a pdf but i reckon they knew my game as dimensions and been removed!
As tyrone said the clutch is far too small , on checking my notes its several sizes down from what dsg used on their 13x30 baby

Does your machine leak oil? maybe you won't have found out yet,mine does and I have never worked out quite where it comes from ,the strange thing is that it appears a few days after I use it ,like as if something fills with oil during use and then slowly empties over the next few days.

Back