What's new
What's new

Graziano 508 carriage feed stops broken, now the main pin

hobbyman

Hot Rolled
When I got this machine almost all the finger stops that slide along a shaft in front had been broken. They were of cast iron. From what I figure the previous owner forgot to disengage the stop lever and engaged the half nut. There is no interlock to prevent. The carriage with the help of the lead screw snapped the stops. Back in 2011 I used ni-rod and welded up the stop fingers.
Last month I had a brain fart and forgot to disengage the stop lever. It gets worse because the pin inside the apron snapped off taking part of the pivot casting. Has anyone done this repair on a Grazi?
Tomorrow I will start on the project and will post pictures. Hopefully my embarrassment will prevent this from happening again.

OK so job is done and I have stops working again. Fortunately the whole apron does not have to be dropped. The one little problem was that the collar on the end of the sleeve had its set screw on top. Obviously at the factory the install was done with the apron off. I was stumped until I realized that once the three screws in the flange of the sleeve were removed I could rotate the sleeve until I could access the set screw.
To remove the sleeve I made the little slide hammer that was half inch rod with internal threads both ends and washer under the bolts.
The break was repaired with TIG and silicon bronze filler. A new little pin made of 3/8 was installed and I put a groove in it to increase the probability that the pin would break rather than the casting.collarsetscrew.jpgparts.jpgsiliconbronze.jpg

Back