What's new
What's new

Graziano SAG12 lubrication quantities

Don Clement

Cast Iron
The Graziano SAG12 manual states the values for oil in lbs. e.g. Headstock 9.03 lbs of Teresso 47, Feedbox 10.65lbs Teresso 47 , Apron 1.1 lbs Teresso 47, and Gear box 11.03 lbs Teresso 43. Strange the values given are weight and not volume like quarts or liters. The reason I ask is I am getting ready to move my SAG12 from my driveway into my workshop this week and want to change the oil as has recommended by others on this forum. I have about 2 gallons of Mobile DTE light (Teresso 43 equivalent ) and about a gallon of Mobil DTE medium (Teresso 47 equivalent). Do I need more DTE oil for a complete oil change on the SAG12?

Don

If you get the specific gravity for the Mobil stuff, you can make an exact calculation.

Equivalent Shell oil is ~ .86. Going by that, you'll need about another 2 US gal of medium if I haven't stuffed up the conversion!

Bill E. Thanks.

I looked up the density from Mobil and DTE light has a density of .85 Kg/l or 7.09lbs/gallon (US). I still find it strange to see quantities of oil stated in that way. I don't see auto manufacturers stating one's car needs 10lbs of oil in the crankcase or the dipstick marked in pound increments or a mechanic saying your car is 2 pounds low on oil.

Don

My 180 has sight glasses for apron and feed box and a dipstick for the headstock so I never bothered to work out the quantities.
But I agree it's odd. The Italians can be quirky. But they tend to get the important things right. Mostly.

But I agree it's odd. The Italians can be quirky. But they tend to get the important things right. Mostly.

I was in Pompeii in 1998 and heard "echoes of a distant time". At first I thought is was the echoes of ancient people of Pompeii but now realize those "Echoes" were from Pink Floyd's 1972 concert there.

Don

Pink Floyd - Echoes / Live at Pompeii ( full ) - YouTube

BTW the Italians sure got the SAG12 lathe right.

Don,
the amount you have will do just fine. I changed all the oil in my SAG12 several years ago, used the same as you: DTE light and medium. One suggestion: When you remove the drain plugs, you'll find that the oil runs down all over the machine... makes quite a mess. I installed various pipe elbows and 1/4-turn valves so that I can now connect a hose and have the oil drain into a bucket.

Don,
the amount you have will do just fine. I changed all the oil in my SAG12 several years ago, used the same as you: DTE light and medium. One suggestion: When you remove the drain plugs, you'll find that the oil runs down all over the machine... makes quite a mess. I installed various pipe elbows and 1/4-turn valves so that I can now connect a hose and have the oil drain into a bucket.

Thanks. Do you know what kind of pipe fittings the drains are? I know from reading on this forum that the oil pressure switch on the gear box is a straight threaded. BTW The oil pressure switch on my SAG12 has been bypassed. I ran the SAG12 at the shop in Upland where I got it but at that time didn't fully understood how the clutches worked. The SAG 12 is sitting in my driveway right now and not in my shop as was agreed because I was too trusting and paid the rigger, Tom Dunkel, in full. Big mistake. However the lathe is in really good condition with no noticeable wear on the ways. It sat for the last 30 years in a gunsmiths shop in Upland. I don't think the PO ever cleaned the swarf out of the chip tray in 30 years though :-) Came with a JFK lever type closer, however I am going to have my Royal pneumatic closer modified to fit the SAG12. The Royal 5C nosepiece is a D1-4 so no problem there. No follow or steady so I will have to make those. Really looking forward to using this lathe. Also came with a vintage 7.5" Buck adjustable two-piece 3-jaw chuck.

Don

Don, the pipe fittings are standard NPT stuff... 1/4" or 3/8" can't remember which but just the standard stuff from the Graziano* department at Home Depot. I'll take some photos tomorrow. You're going to love this lathe; I've been using mine for 3 years and it's a sweet little lathe. Do yourself a favor and run this off a rotary phase converter. I tried a static converter first, and although it ran, it was rough. Then on the 3rd start, the SPC blew up. I learned my lesson and bought a 10hp rotary; it will run my SAG12 and my Bridgeport at the same time. And you are going to build steady and follow rests? I need the same. We need to talk... I live about 2 hours from you. :cheers:

* plumbing

Bailey, the bent-tail lathe dog

I am going to use a rotary phase converter I built from an old 5HP 3-phase motor I built about 25 years ago. The rotary phase converter made a an improvement in surface finish over the static converter I was using at the time on an old Rockford belt drive lathe. I made progress today moving the SAG12 up my driveway and added 4x4 outriggers for stability when moving. The SAG12 happens to have little cutouts for 4x4 or forklift blades.

Don

Well, I'm no expert on pipe threads, but I do know that the common pipe fittings from Home Depot screwed right in. Let's see if I can attach some pics...

Attachments

• Drain Valve 1.jpg
    Drain Valve 1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 368
  • Drain Valve 2.jpg
    Drain Valve 2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 731
310Guy, thanks for the info on pipe fittings and pictures. I'm going to copy your implementation when my SAG12 gets placed hopefully tomorrow.

The lathe got moved 40ft up my inclined driveway on Wednesday using rope, block and tackle, outrigger sled (made from 4x4 lumber) and my Toy truck to pull on the block and tackle with. I am rigging a 4" steel I beam, A-frame support with a 1 ton trolly and chain fall to move the lathe vertically up 2ft and laterally over 4ft into my shop.

Noted from a post: SAG 12 delivery card lifting instructions card (Thanks Peter S.) .http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...iki-lathes/graziano-sag-12-literature-253834/
that the SAG 12 has holes in the "basement" for putting 1" pipe through so the lathe can be lifted using a chain fall with the proper position of carriage and tailstock for balance.

Don

Back