What's new
What's new

Grazianon Sag 12 Accessories #1: Steady Rest

Peter S

Diamond
I have done some drawings of a Sag 12 steady rest for anyone who needs to make one.

If you would like the drawings (22 pages) please send me an e-mail (click on my name).

I could post them here if that helps, but probably easiest to send me an e-mail.

BTW, I think it might be easier to buy a Chinese steady rest and modify it to suit. It seems like a simple accessory, but it looks reasonably difficult to make IMO.

A few things about the drawings:

-They are not intended for making replacement parts for your existing steady rest - I have generally given nominal sizes, no tolerances. This is because it is generally easier to use off-the-shelf drills, reamers etc. to make your holes, then machine the shaft etc. to suit the hole you have made.

-The original steady rest body is made from cast iron, but perhaps CNC plasma-cut mild steel might be easier? If so, I could provide a dxf file suitable for the blanks. I can add extra material to the dxf where required, e.g. to allow for machining on the base and on the part line of the two halves. However, on the original steady, the base is wider than the rest of the steady. Weld a bit extra on? :scratchchin:. The clamp plate would be easy to simplify and make from steel IMO.

-The parts book drawing (see image below) shows a steady rest with a "rounded" style of casting whereas my steady is a "squared" style. Not sure if they ever made the "rounded" style like the parts drawing.

-Please let me know if you find any errors.

001 general assembly of steady rest.jpg SAG 12 steady rest parts diagram.jpg SAG 12 steady rest parts list.jpg sag 12 fixed steady 02.jpg sag 12 fixed steady 01.jpg

Last edited:

Back