What's new
What's new

Help with Cadillac (Mori?) tailstock. Can't get cam lock lever out.

kazlx

Hot Rolled
So I have a Cadillac 1440, which I love. From everything I've read, it's a Mori clone, so I figured I'd post in here. I'm not sure if the tail stocks are the same or not. There's the lock lever that locks the tail stock down on the ways, with the clamp on the bottom, like most lathes. This looks to use a cam setup and there is a roll pin that looks like it sheared (had been a little sloppy since I got it, now I know why) underneath. I was able to get the roll pin out, but now the cam action doesn't function via the lever. This is with the tail stock removed off of the lathe and upside down. I can probably just drive another roll pin in there and be on my merry way, but the lever has never felt all that smooth, so I want to take the action apart and clean, lube and possibly hone everything. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get it apart. No set screws, no obvious threads for unscrewing the main pin, nothing. Just wondering if anyone had insight onto how these actually come apart. Seems silly to ask about something seemingly so simple, but I've stared and stared and have no idea. I'm sure it's simple and probably right in front of me, but can't figure it out.

Thanks. I can add some pics if needed later tonight.

Ive got a yang cadillac parts manual for the newer 2260 models, mine is a 1997. Might have the same tailstock. Its 2 speed. i can post images of the tailstock parts. May be helpful.

kazlx,

Did you ever figure out how to get it apart? I'm messing with my 1428 and I'm in the same predicament. Thanks, Dave

kazlx,

Did you ever figure out how to get it apart? I'm messing with my 1428 and I'm in the same predicament. Thanks, Dave

I'd have to look at it again, but it was stupid simple like pressing the cross pin out. It was just stuck in there. For the main pivot bolt I think I ended up using an arbor press and it popped right out.

I'd have to look at it again, but it was stupid simple like pressing the cross pin out. It was just stuck in there. For the main pivot bolt I think I ended up using an arbor press and it popped right out.

Ok. Thanks for the quick response! I used a delrin rod and lightly hammered out the main lever that locks the tailstock to the ways.

Now I can not figure out how to remove the lever that locks the barrel. I can see it on both sides of the tailstock and as you swing the lever it you can see the opposite side "contract and expand"....but I have no idea how to remove it.

Also, under the barrel, there is a metal tab held in with a screw and under that tab is the barrel key. Either my barrel key is rusted stuck, or I'm doing something wrong. EDIT: Looking at a different Cadillac diagram, it appears to be a T-Key, and thus will not come out until the barrel comes out.

I should have mentioned, the barrel is stuck in the tailstock. It appears to be light rust, but I am being gentle and do not want to go cowboy on it with a hammer. I have not tried to screw/unscrew the barrel either, as I wanted to get some PB Blaster etc in there first.

Just in case anybody searches this in the future, once the barrel is out, the lower lock just presses out. I used a piece of delrin and just gently tapped it through.

Back