What's new
What's new

help with Okuma LS compound-rest locking screw diagnosis

coltz

Aluminum
Hi All,

just received a great condition okuma ls. The only problem I'm having is that the compound rest is very hard to move. It *appears* that the compound rest locking screw partially broke off sometime in the past, and that's what is causing the issue. I'm looking to verify a few things before I start drilling it out.

1. Is the compound rest locking screw shorter than the cross slide or are they both the same? (If the same, then it is broken off).
  2. On the compound, should there appear to be a brass pin inside the locking screw threaded hole? There is on the cross slide, but does not appear to be on my compound (which is consistent with break-off).
  3. Is there some mechanism that will prevent the compound rest from sliding off once it's leadscrew is removed? Or, if it's difficult, does that just mean the locking screw must still be engaged? I can't get it to budge with a 5lb deadblow when the leadscrew is removed.

Thanks! It's a really nice machine, so I want to be absolutely sure before I start drilling out metal...

Got it. Used the compound lead screw + blocks to push the compound slide off. Locking screw was not broken, so if anyone else ever wants to know --- the locking screws are indeed different lengths.

Back