What's new
What's new

How fast will it go: Schaublin 150

I think this ad won't make the end of the day.

Hmmm ... I'd have thought it would be on a few days at least ... he's listing more pictures today so he says.

In the description the machine is offered "as is". If I were after it I'd want to know more before spending Euro 22,000.00. BUT I do wonder though what his lowest "Offer" price is though :D

Lets see ;)

John:cheers: Happy New Year

Well like most of these German ebay items he says he won't ship to the US. Why is that BTW? Martin do you still have that Weiler lathe? Maybe we could hear more about that someday.

Well like most of these German ebay items he says he won't ship to the US. Why is that BTW?

Well in his description he does say "I would also personally deliver the machine, with appropriate compensation" Now that's an offer I've never seen before :D

I guess in reality European's (Except major companies) won't ship to the US/Canada because of the effort required to prepare it for shipping.

John :typing:

The auction only says that the machine is "pick up only", meaning its the sellers business to take care of it. If he would click another option when placing the aution, he would have to provide a shipping price, which is un-doable. EBay is idiotic like that.
BTW, it is against Ebay rules to go and look at the machine before purchase. Seller is not allowed to provide his contact data. Ebay also monitors the communication, which I find very borderline considering german privacy laws. On the other hand the sale can easily be reversed if the item is not as described or important issues were not mentioned.
Seller is not helping himself with the pisspoor product description and no pictures.

Yes I admit my predictions sucks.
I thought a dealer would step in, negotiate with the seller, buy the machine. And another 150 would be lost for the small user.

(A huge part of the dream was the price.. bought direct from owner for literally less than half what he had it it...

I can see vehicles being down-counted if not also down-sized such that the huge garage and 500 SF "workshop" swap priorities, so yazz... quite the dream.

Especially as .. one can comfortably cast a gaze over OTHER people's money-pits in the water and hopefully extricate oneself from yer own one.

NB: If/as/when the spirit, family & friends, or even "business" needs, move us to fish, swim, or just sightsee, enjoy chat, food & beverages... the "Hong Kong way" - multiple islands as it is - is to rent a fueled, maintained, expertly crewed, and optionally victualed hull for the day.

In between times - be that months or multiple YEARS, there is no spend at all on THEIR "hole in the water".

Gots to be at least a few similar services near Dogpatch-By-The-Sea, no?

Feminine companionship, I can see permanent commitment-to /contracts-with. Safer that way, if nothing else.

Holes in the WATER (or air..) into which one shovels money? Much less-so.

:)

But I did recently, to raise part of the money needed for downpayment on the house of my dreams (a dream I didn't even know I had until I saw it the first time......with the rear sunroom view of one of the nicest marinas on the East Coast USA, boat slips just yards from my back door, and a 500 sq ft workshop as part of the huge garage under the house)

Selling that helped gain this....

View attachment 217160

Glad you've found a new home to be happy with ... just adore the Marina view ... one of the very few views to drag me away from machines and aeroplanes :)

Enjoy :D ... and thanks for sharing!

John:cheers:

The 150 looks OK (and I think it is in fair condition) but the condition of the guideways are more important then the run-out of the spindle. Just because the bed suffers more from wear as the spindle-bearings do.

I have to sell my house if I want to buy this Schaublin.:D

The 150 looks OK (and I think it is in fair condition) but the condition of the guideways are more important then the run-out of the spindle. Just because the bed suffers more from wear as the spindle-bearings do.

I have to sell my house if I want to buy this Schaublin.:D

So? Get your skates on and DO it.

I mean.. who wants to live below sea-level in times of global warming and rising seas, whether "stable genius" (as-in a house for horses and their uber-active arseholes perhaps?) Trump believes it or not?

As an aside, I opened this topic thinking Martin wanted to know how fast it would be safe to run a Schaublin 150 spindle without damage.... like he might be adding a VFD to one or such :dopeslap:

Aside no. 2 is that Schaublin 135, 150 and 160 use such precision spindle bearings it is normal for the headstock casting to feel a little warm after running at higher RPM's for a few minutes.

As an aside, I opened this topic thinking Martin wanted to know how fast it would be safe to run a Schaublin 150 spindle without damage.... like he might be adding a VFD to one or such :dopeslap:

Aside no. 2 is that Schaublin 135, 150 and 160 use such precision spindle bearings it is normal for the headstock casting to feel a little warm after running at higher RPM's for a few minutes.

AFAIK, that heating effect is unavoidably true to "some extent" of ANY spindle, plain bearing or roller, and at any speed.

Joule's experiment at churning captive fluid mass in a calibrated enclosure. The friction of stirring any "fluid", be it air or liquid, converts some of the kinetic energy into heat. That's for the lubricant. Rolling-elements in bearings also deform and recover. More heating, yet.

An air or gas bearing, even uber-low-viscosity pressured liquid one might SEEM immune, but only because the heat is being immediately carried away.

Back to the Schaublins, then:

Given that heavy "engine" lathes can be commonly operated with HS castings/bearing housings reaching temps right around scalding (140 F), HOW hot is too hot for an uber-precision lathe?

Keeping one's hands TF off is easy. Bearings and lubes can stand more than humans, too.

But ..there has to be a point where sustainable accuracy is put at risk, no?

My SWAG is that's about where the temp is still below scalding/skin damage, but too hot to comfortable LEAVE one's hand on it. Well above "a little warm", IOW.

IOW, not likely to be a problem, is it?

The aditionnal pics are now on the ad.. They are remarkably crappy for a 22.000 euros sale and I strongly doubt they will speed it up.

The machine looks in average to good condition to me. No less, but certainly no more.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Back