What's new
What's new

Mori MS-1250G apron oil pump question

Turbo442

Aluminum
Hello, Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a Mori MS-1250G lathe that is not pumping oil up from the apron into the cross slide as I believe it should. See the attached video. I am trying to determine my next troubleshooting steps. I have an operators manual but it does not go into detail regarding the oiling system. In the video you can see the carriage and cross slide have been removed. I believe I have plenty of oil sitting in the apron. The gears are pulling up lots of oil. In the video you can see a brass hole that I believe pumps oil up into the carriage / cross slide. In the video the power feed is engaged. From what I understand if the feed rod is turning the oil pump should be pumping. Is this correct? I have tried putting some compressed air into the oil holes, some times I see some oil come out for a bit. For the most part I am getting ZIP ZILCH NOTHING! Who here can be today's Practical Machinist HERO and guide me to the next steps of oiling success!!!!

YouTube

Ive got a mori clone, cadillac 2260 that is a tiawanese copy of this machine. It originally had aluminum oil tubes but due to coolant getting into the apron, these degraded so I had to replace with copper lines. Oil pump was full of crud and I had to take it apart to clean. Since then its worked fine.I also drilled a small hole in the cross screw cavity cover directly above the oil output so I can see if its pumping. Takes about 2 feet of carriage movement to see oil pumped.

Attachments

• D71_1207.jpg
    D71_1207.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 476
Interesting that the Mori has four cap screws securing the compound just like my Graziano. The newer machines just use two studs for this purpose.

Here are some additional photos I took.
df889c114692797e2781f3736128a951.jpg
7b002f3ac73a64698526eb67068b57e6.jpg
88089c4ac1694c6ab76fc9024fec1605.jpg
81ea482c9de7bed37690d36230d74fb5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as MARKP mentioned, you need to spin the carriage wheel to pump the oil to the saddle and cross slide. After removing the front cover plate of the apron I was able to see how this all works. Approximately 8 rotations of the carriage wheel = one shot of oil. After a little fiddling everything is working correctly. If your going to run the lathe for the day it looks like it would be best to run the carriage back and forth 4 or 5 times to get oil pumping around. Hopefully the video I included makes it a little clearer.

Last edited:

Back