What's new
What's new

Mysterious Schaublin ball turning attachment...

TNB

Stainless
Hi everyone.

I have a cute ball turning attachment that I got in the tooling cabinet of a milling machine.

IMG_7076.jpg

It's exactly the same as the one depicted in Tony Griffith's website as a Schaublin 102 attachment, and the make is obviously Schaublin.

img23.gif

But, the baseplate has two vees and that doesn't match the 102 ways shape.

IMG_7073.jpg

Sooooo of course, the question is, wich lathe that attachment belongs to ? Could it be for a 135 or a 150 ?

I've searched in my litterature and haven't seen it in any Schaublin brochres I have.

(BTW, does anyone know if there's a way to reduce the pictures hosted with photobucket ?)

I don't think so.

The baseplate really seems original to me. It shows the same craftmanship as the rest of the attachment and there's absolutely no evidence of modification. Even the clamps are cast iron ones.

Definitely not the work of a tinkerer.

Hi..

A very nice find indeed. Congratulations with a very fine tool.

From the pictures I would say that the attachment is made for the, somewhat rare, Schaublin 120VM lathe. This model uses only W25 collets and shares tailstock with the 102VM via an adaptor plate as the one shown.

Best regards

Looking at your pictures, it looks as if the V base was added on. From what I have seen, the top should attach to your cross slide or apron, not directly to the ways. If you can't figure it out and would like to get rid of it, I'll take it off your hands :)

BTW, nice find...

I may sell it, since I don't have the machine that goes with it plus it's a little bit overkill for my ball turning needs...

But I'd like to know first, wich lathe it belongs to.

The baseplate vees wouldn't fit the 120VM ways.

Here's a pic of a 120 VM from Tony's website :

img90.jpg

wrk : if you take a close look at the black and white picture in my first post, you'll see that the attachment also has a baseplate on it. The baseplate gives the attachment some adjustability on the crosslide axis.

The distance between the two vees of the base plate is 105mm (center to center) and the approx center height is 115/120 mm (measured from the top of the front vee).

So not for the lager Schaublins.(125-160)Looking at the first pic it shows the item has been used a few times supporting on the flat on the right and the V on the left.Stange is that the holes for the clamping bolts are very much to the right, and the clamping blocks are little.I can't think of any Schaublin-type that would fit.So I think the baseplate is not orginal.But I also can't image any other lathe that would fit.
Perhaps the former owner knows.What kind of miller it came with?

A Deckel FP1.

And there's no chance I can ask to the former owner so I think that attachment will remain mysterious...

Are both Vs scrapped? cant tell from the pic, but if only one is, other might be to clear the tailstock v way and simply locate on one V and the scraped flat area on the far carrage way. Thoes v dimensions would not be far away from my harrison 5LA , that has a twin V bedway.

Back