What's new
What's new

New chuck for the little schaublin yesterday

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
I picked up special 4 jaw chuck yesterday for the 102. It is a Roehm EG series which is a 4 jaw scroll chuck that also has independant jaws if that makes any sense. Bit expensive but should prove to be useful. The design is interesting, basically it looks like a normal scroll chuck with adjustable jaws stacked on top. I had heard of these but never seen one before. It had never been used (still in the box) but had been sitting for long enough to harden all the grease so I had to disassemble, clean and re-grease etc.

IMG_20170123_163959811.jpg

IMG_20170123_163943945.jpg

L

Bani and another Swiss company also made them but this seems quite good enough. I like independent 4 jaws as you can get them as accurate as you need and work with other shapes but when it is a single setup etc it is nice to just used the scroll.

Bani and another Swiss company also made them but this seems quite good enough. I like independent 4 jaws as you can get them as accurate as you need and work with other shapes but when it is a single setup etc it is nice to just used the scroll.

Handy, yes. Earliest ones were a US patent.

But do NOT forget that (relatively) fragile scroll is inside it, just as on a scroll operated 3-J.

'bout HALF the max grip pressure of reg'lar 4-jaw, and buggerable if you get greedy for grip.

Not that I'd expect a Schaublin trafficer to ever be that ham-handed, but still..

Bill

Thanks for the warning, I think Roehm was thinking about this as they supplied a tiny wrench for the 4 jaw portion which means you really can't apply too much force without a cheater. And yes I try to treat my tools politely :)

Back