What's new
What's new

New owner of Mori Seiki MS-850G need some help to get going.

vespam5

Plastic
Greetings all, I'm seeking some help getting set up and running with my recent acquisition of a Mori Seiki MS-850G lathe. Up until recently I was running a smaller WEBB lathe which was a wonderful machine but I've always wanted a Mori simply because my father had one many years ago. Last week I managed to trade my WEBB (and some cash on top) and get this 850 into my shop. The machine was recently gone through by Greer Machinery and runs really smoothly but I was hoping to get some advice on how to get up and running. Though I've been around lathes for years for years and can handle most basic operations, I was hoping to get some more in depth knowledge on tooling, setup, terminology, backlash tuning, etc. Thanks in advance for your input and here I go with some questions:

1) I was able to keep all of my old tooling such as chucks, cutters, tool posts, etc. For years I was under the impression that my old WEBB ran A1-6 chucks but it became clear today that I was misinformed since my new Mori is in fact A1-6 and is clearly much bigger. Is it possible to use my old smaller chucks onto my new lathe? What mount type are my old chucks? (see picture below). Is that what adaptor plates do?

2) I may have screwed myself slightly since my old machine was smaller and more suited to the smaller type jobs I do 90% of the time, ideally I'd have a large lathe and a small lathe but space and money is always an issue. I wanted to be able to turn automotive road wheels of about 15" diameter which my old machine could not handle. I find that my old tool posts (KDK/Dorian) are nothing like the monster tool post that came with this Mori. Is it possible to run my old small tool posts? (see Picture)

3)It seems like if I was able to run my old small tool posts, the cross slide might contact the chuck before my cutter would (see picture). How do I address this?

Thanks again for your help and please forgive my beginner questions!

IMG_8923.jpgIMG_8924.jpgIMG_8925.jpgIMG_8926.jpgIMG_8927.jpg

From your third photo, it looks like someone has smacked the compound hard with a four jaw chuck.

Your old tool post can be used with this larger machine although you may need to fabricate some sort of adapter or spacer to get it to the proper center height.

What is the spec on this machine? Looks approximately 16 x 40?

From your third photo, it looks like someone has smacked the compound hard with a four jaw chuck.

Your old tool post can be used with this larger machine although you may need to fabricate some sort of adapter or spacer to get it to the proper center height.

What is the spec on this machine? Looks approximately 16 x 40?

Indeed the crossslide has been cut into more than once.

I'm not sure how to measure the specs of the machine, the length of the longitudinal slide is about 56 inches.

Can you tell me what spindle mount type my old/small chucks are?

I looks like to me that the larger chuck on the right in your picture is a D1-6 mount that is missing the mounting pins. The other chucks I have not a clue, but I am sure they can be adapted by making custom backing plates. As stated earlier, you'll have to make a sub riser plate for the top of the compound to raise up those smaller toolposts to get your tools to the lathes centerline.

This looks to be the shorter of the lathes 17" x 40" (quick search shows the ms850 as a 30"-32") not sure which lathe would be smaller then this one since this was made in both a 17 x 40 & 17 x 60 versions as far as I have seen doing research on mine.

Good clear precise information is hard to come by.

If you look at the right end of the lathe it should be in the casting ? maybe. Mine says 17 x 59
I think you are going to find out about fitting any 15" auto car wheels on to that machine, how do
you plan on holding it.

I made the same mistake dealing with Tom

Just because someone says they went thru it doesn't mean squat. I had to clean out 1/3 of the coolant tank, filled with old oil, & coolant, the coolant rusted the coolant pump up solid.
Plus numerous other items that should have been addressed but weren't.

Why don't you ask Greer about your situation, he is supposed to be the expert on the Mori Seiki, Whacheon, Webb, & other similar machines. Assuming you traded Greer your machine & cash, you would think he might have mentioned the chuck mis-arrangment.

Wondering if you have got your issues sorted out with your lathe.

I am posting to show you a brake drum I machined last night. The drum measures right
at 16-3/4" on the O.D. & approximately 6" wide.
So this would be close to what you wanted to work on.
Front of machine looks like lots more clearance could be gained by moving stop, on the back V way only had .100 or so clearance. So anything larger diameter will have to fit into the gap.
Unless you use a face plate & remove the gap, and figure out how to hold the wheel to the face plate, I believe you are undersized with your machine, and will have a difficult time in accomplishing your goal.

WP_20170224_013.jpg

WP_20170224_021.jpg

Any input would be much appreciated.

A type spindle flange O.D. is a way to identify exactly what you have - assuming the lathe maker actually paid attention to the dimensions posted in B5.9 Spindle Noses

5" is 5.25" OD
6" is 6.50" OD
8" is 8.25" OD
11" is 11" OD

Back