What's new
What's new

threading indicator question

nick z

Plastic
Hello everybody I finally have got my lathe cleaned up and running and put in place. (took longer than I wanted after figuring everything out) which is why I have been absent for awhile although not using it still so much fun in the shop getting it ready. Now that its cutting metal trying to make a captured nut and after consulting many threading books videos etc time to find out what I dont know. My question is my threading indicator does not have a mark to line up with the numbers/marks that are going around on the dial is it safe to assume that it should be at 12 o'clock. Just dont want to go through a bunch of metal and time trying to figure it out. thank you.

Well, with the machine shut off - find a place where the half nut engages - make a felt pen mark. Then cut a thread (or just chase some on a piece of all-thread) - see if everything lines up as expected.

The reference line on the body can be ANYWHERE

Hello everybody I finally have got my lathe cleaned up and running and put in place. (took longer than I wanted after figuring everything out) which is why I have been absent for awhile although not using it still so much fun in the shop getting it ready. Now that its cutting metal trying to make a captured nut and after consulting many threading books videos etc time to find out what I dont know. My question is my threading indicator does not have a mark to line up with the numbers/marks that are going around on the dial is it safe to assume that it should be at 12 o'clock. Just dont want to go through a bunch of metal and time trying to figure it out. thank you.

I often just wipe a grease pencil on the face to "enhance visibility"

Any where, really! just so long as you can close the half nuts......

"tween places" and the half nuts won't close properly. A source of many a spoiled threadding attempt.

Back