Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. I sent them an inquiry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So alha, what's happening with the new lathe ?

Ted

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Ted, thanks for the bump. Well, I have about 13 balls in the air, and I am finding juggling to be a hard skill to learn, but I'm slowly getting better at it. My main high precision VMC got delivered yesterday, it's my first real machine other than my DoAll vertical bandsaw that I have in the shop. I have a DoAll horizontal bandsaw down at the factory that they went over for me, and that is going to be delivered at the same time as my lathe, horizontal mill, and a few other items, I am using the same rigger for everything.

The seller is getting a little anxious to get it removed, which is understandable, so my guess is I'll be making arrangements for it to be delivered sometime next week. I'll take a couple pics of it once it is in place. I had hoped to have a guy do a C02 blast cleaning on it and the other pieces before it came into the shop, but the timing just isn't going to work out for him to get here and do it outside, so he'll have to do it in the shop, tarp around it and then cleanup the crud when he is done.

Well, hopefully this time next week the electrician will be done, and I will have a number of machines delivered, and even under power. How cool will that be? ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

alha,

Glad to hear that you're making progress. Sounds like you're setting up quite a shop. Are you starting up a business or is this just a hobby shop ? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of this new venture.

Ted

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

alha, you basically stole that thing... call the cops!!!

that is a great purchase for a monster of a lathe, see that all the accessories that the seller threw in, that's easily an $8,000+ deal.

I, too, got a lot of tooling in my Sag14 along with a bunch of spare parts. Grazianos are great lathes, I use mine at home in a hobby situation, I like it better than the bigger and more expensive lathes I run at work.

Enjoy the lathe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ted, I am setting up a 'retirement' business. I'd spent well over 20 years working in IT and finally burnt out and had to get out, and after doing a couple other things that were fun but not fun for long, I 'retired'. Well, I don't golf, or have many other hobbies to speak of, and have wanted to do this for a number of years now, as I've been 'collecting' things like MIG and TIG welders, and other bits and pieces for metalworking with the plan that I was going to hopefully do this someday. Well, last fall I sat down and had a long hard think, and realized that I am: A-not getting any younger, B-not getting any stronger and C-the eyesight isn't going to be getting any better as the years go by, so if I want to do this and actually enjoy it, I had best do it now! So, I made the decision to do it, and as I have so much computer experience, getting 4-5 CNC machines (mostly older except for my Datron) would be right up my alley, but this G-code business has me going back to school a bit.

Well, actually everything is, but thank god we live in the YouTube age, there is so much information out there it blows the mind. I know that not all of it is good info, but by watching enough you get the idea of what works and what is mostly just hot air, especially when they have the comments turned on. I've been pretty inspired by John Saunders at NYC CNC, he has done over the last 10 years what I am trying to achieve in less than 5. Well, maybe not quite as large a setup as he has now, but we'll see how things go. ;-) I know, I know, crawl, fall, walk, faceplant, then run and don't forget to tie the shoes! lol

Waggie, thanks, I think I did pretty well with it, even though it isn't in close to as nice a condition as Teds, I think it will work out pretty nicely for me. I hope I get the hang of it fairly quickly, I plan on getting as much spindle time in as I can, it's just so crazy setting up a new shop as a 1 man band, so much to deal with, with only one set of hands working most of the time. But I'll get there..

8. Likes dcsipo, Monarchist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

alha,

Well, it certainly sounds like you're jumping in with both feet. I made a similar decision when I retired. I had always enjoyed the little machine work that I did throughout my career and always wanted to have a small machine shop at home just for hobby use, so kind of like with you, I decided it was now or never. I didn't intend to start a business and my little shop certainly isn't on the same scale as what you're doing, but it provides many hours of enjoyment.

Look forward to seeing some photos when you get settled in.

Ted

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure will, once it goes from the disaster it is now to something resembling organized.. I look at Johns place (though it _is_ significantly larger than my shop) in his videos, and have been wondering how am I going to get from _this_ to something even close to being as well set up and organized as his is. I'll just consider it a worthwhile challenge! I've even came up with a name for my new business, I'll tell you about it once I get ready to hang my shingle out there. ;-) Oh, and I got the rigger to talk with the auction person, and they agreed that they would be holding off on shipping everything out till the Tuesday after Memorial day, so I have a little over a week to get my 'stuff' in a group, so to say. I just hope the weather cooperates, as we've been getting rained on off and on for well over a week now. Enough already! lol

The electicians just finished up installing my 2nd 100 amp 480v service yesterday, as well as the 240v transformer that will feed the 200a panel they installed. Which will power the majority of the machines in my shop, other than things like my compressor and my welders, which can still feed off of either my existing 208v panel or my 480v panel. That will keep the power pretty clean to the CNC machines, which is my goal, as well as isolating them from anything else in my shop. Next up is pulling wire in the conduit that I had installed myself all around the shop a few months ago, putting in disconnects for each machine and a few other assorted outlets, and after that the electrical will be pretty much done. Yay!

Just a month or so ago, I had one of my 2 rooftop units dead short (due to water infiltration and corrosion) inside the disconnect box that is mounted on the side of them, and instead of blowing the breaker to it, or even the main breaker in the panel, it blew the breaker to my entire unit in the main meter room of the complex. _That_ made me pretty unhappy, and the response when I asked the electrician was, well, yeah, that can happen. I said so, the rooftop units individual breaker, or even the main panel breaker inside my shop didn't do their job, and it blew it in the meter room, and this is considered "normal or ok"? And he said yep, the weakest link is what blew, and at that moment I realized that I had done the right thing by pulling a 2nd feed to my unit, it will give me some redundancy, as well as isolation of my most expensive equipment from everything else.

A very good friend of mine who has been helping me off and on during this whole process had said that I should start recording this saga and posting it up on YouTube, and I said H*ll no, no way I am going to embarrass myself to the world with this slow rolling (but getting better almost every day, at least I like to think so) disaster I have. Although it is much too late at this point, I guess it might have shown the reality of doing what I am, but I don't think that it would be all the interesting to be honest. So, I'll just grab the bootstraps and really dig in this next week, to get the place ready for the machines to be delivered.

I might just see if I can have the larger VMC and the CNC knee mills delivered from Tree in WI at the same time, so I can get it all in at once, with one rigging bill instead of 2, as I get the privilege of paying full rate for their drive time as well... My dad had a saying he used to use, went something like, "What did the monkey say as he was peeing into the cash register? This is running into money!" Well, doing all of this has certainly fit the bill, and don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I expected it to some degree, but there are so many unexpected or unplanned for expenses that I've ran into, it's been shall we say.. Interesting. But, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally, and I'm pretty sure that it isn't an oncoming train.. ;-)

11. Likes Monarchist liked this post