What's new
What's new

Schaublin 102 grinding carriage

Crank

Aluminum
20171021_184249_HDR.jpg

I figure I'll start a thread just to discuss this accessory. Digging around, the grinding carriage for the Schaublin 70 seems to be fairly common, I have so far only found one other example sized for the 102. Initially, I didn't think I was going to keep it, but yesterday I tore it down and scrubbed every nook and cranny to remove the grunge and grit. It has pronounced wear from poor housekeeping, but I am starting to like it and think it may have some occasional uses. I am still trying to determine the size used for the collets, I believe I have one arbor (?) which is marked Levin, but it won't tighten to full depth with the drawbar, it may need a washer to take up the slack. Does anyone have info about the capabilities of these carriages? I would love to hear some feedback on these.
Thanks

Mark

I did some checking and it measures out as a #8. Now to see if they can be found for a reasonable cost so I can have an example or two to use. Thanks for the lead!

Mark

I have the grinding attachment for my Schaublin 102N. It uses B-8 collets, which have an 8mm shaft diameter.

You can also use WW collets, which have a slightly smaller diameter and a different thread. They work fine in the attachment because the cone aligns them.

You'll have to make a new drawbar for the WW collets. Sherline Products in CA sell plain WW drawbars which you can buy and use to make a drawbar that will work with the Schaublin attachment.

There are also some Chinese companies on fleaBay selling taps to match the thread on these collets.

Thanks for the clarification. I made a quick pass on Ebay and prices were all over the place. I might get a collet to hold 1/8" shanks as a temporary measure to use Dremel grinding wheels and pick up a proper arbor later. Is it an item that proves useful to you? I'm looking at it as a novelty with limited applications for me, but since I have it, I might as well get creative and find a way to put it to use. Thanks again for the input.

Mark

...Is it an item that proves useful to you? I'm looking at it as a novelty with limited applications for me...

Mark

These will work just fine in the Schaublin grinder. You'll just need to make your own drawbar. Either buy the tap on eBay that matches the WW thread, or buy a Sherline drawbar without the hand wheel (have to search for it but they do sell them).

283 WW Collet with 1" blank — Sherline Products

I find the grinding attachment useful. When you need to remove a very small amount of material (less than .002" or .05 mm) or need very smooth finishes especially on very hard materials.

I've used my grinding attachment to true up very costly W25 solid shanks for the Swiss 6 and 8 jaw chucks. Used shanks usually are dinged up. With careful grinding you can restore them to like-new.

Back