What's new
What's new

Schaublin 102-VM, W20 or W25?

corlm

Plastic
Hello,

I'm in the process of buying a Schaublin 102-VM and have found two machines that look promising. The machines are from the same year and look to have about the same wear. The W25 version have more change wheels and an extra chuck, other then that they have similar tooling. The W25 is slightly more expensive.

I can't make up my mind what to buy. I have an Aciera F3 so the same collet is apealing, the W20 is also located closer and easier to transport. But my gut tells me that I'll regret not choosing the W25 version. Is there any other benefit to either of the machines that I should consider?

I've yet to go and measure on the machines, the result of that might be the deciding factor.

Best regards

I've yet to go and measure on the machines, the result of that might be the deciding factor.

It surely SHOULD be.

I haven't yet met a machine tool that some other workholding system could not be adapted to.

In your case, candidates could include ER, TG, 5C, 2J, RubberFlex....wotever, even if as "nose art", not native spindle & drawbar.

You are only back to "indecisive" if BOTH are in great shape. Or equally trashed..

;)

Well for me it's a no brainer after having both versions of Schaublin 102 headstock.

The W25 gives you far more flexibility - END of Story unless of course you'll never want to use stock bigger than 14.5mm ... can you afford to loose 5mm by not having 19mm through bore.

Just my two pence worth

John :typing:

I went and looked at the W25 first and it turned out to have a lot of accessories but was worn out. I then went and looked at the W20 which was in quite decent shape. The bonus was that it wasn't a W20 as described, instead it was a W25. So I'm now a happy owner of a 102-vm!

Back