What's new
What's new

Schaublin 12

adrian

Cast Iron
Hi all, I was thinking of getting a schaublin 12 for my clock making. I am not familiar with this machine. Does any one have some photos of the machine with the accessories that were availible. More to the point does anyone know of one for sale.

cheers for now

Adrian

Hi Ztarum. Thank you for the reply, I have been told type 12's are very rare outside Switzerland. There are lots of type 13's for sale, but to be honest I prefer the Deckel FP1 in that size of machine. I think I may end up with a little Aciera F1 or F2 for those delicate bits of machining.

cheers for now

Adrian.

Adrian,
OK... Take this with a grain of salt because I'm about to commit heresay here (hmmm, the spelling doesn't look right for that, but you get the idea). Is it really worth it to spend the money on an F1 or F2? Those machines are really small and you dump a fortune into them. By the time you figure out that you are never going to take a huge cut with them, I kind of wonder if you wouldn't be better off just buying a Sherline! You won't be taking a huge cut with them either, but their price is certainly attractive. Mind you, I *do* own a Deckel and I wouldn't ever want to part with it. And I'd love to own an F1, but I don't think I could ever justify the price for what you get. You can drop more for them, it seems like, than you can for a nice Deckel! And there is no comparison for the two (my opinion).

--Alan

Alan,
Don't downplay the Aciera F2 too much. Mine has a 0.8 HP motor and can hog pretty well. It's mainly limited by belt slip. Mine came with the universal table and some W20 collets. It would be nice to have the Aciera indexer setup, but I can make do with substitutes.
Rich

Rich,
Fair enough... It was just a personal perspective... I'd love to have one, don't get me wrong. I just cannot quite justify the expense/capability ration.

--Alan

I own a #13 and would like to find any of the vertical heads for it. I think if I was just buying the mill to perform tasks, based on cost, etc., I would just get a Bridgeport but I'm more of a collector and was fasinated with the little #13 when I saw it.

Compare the schaublin or the aciera or the
sherline to something like a Hardinge TM.

There isn't much belt slip in the hardinge.....

Jim

Adrian,

You stated "There are lots of type 13's for sale,"is that in the UK? I haven't seen any in the dealers listings here that I frequent. I found one locally some time back but it was the first and only one I have seen for sale. I would now like to find any of the vertical heads available for it. I would also like to hear from someone that owns one and uses it.

Bernard

Hi Bernard (Bernard sounds kinda french isn't it ?)

You said you'd like to hear about someone who "owns a SCHAUBLIN 13 and uses it".

Well I own one... but I don't use it yet.
My machine is still in a rebuilding process that will probably take a while (not that it was in too bad condition, but my projects -even the simplests- often last a loooooong time
).

I'm currently working in order to mate a motor to the rapidfeed mechanism. (my machine was not equiped with that option, and I decided the general overhaul was a good occasion to upgrade !)

Anyway, if you want to see or know something about the '13 internals, that's the moment.

T.NGUYEN BINH,

Thanks for the response. My #13 is not up and running yet either. It is in great condition however it is packed into a rather crowded garage and I haven't run power out to it yet.

Mine has the rapid traverse however it doesn't work. I understand that it is common for it to fail and is difficult to repair. I don't want to tear into it or I may never get it operational. My projects take forever as well.

Does your machine have the #40 taper or the #4 Morse?

Do you have any of the vertical heads or the universal table?

You're correct that Bernard could very well be French and I have been asked that before, however in this case it was from my German mother.

Regards,

Bernard

Hi Bernard

My machine has the regular milling head, ISO 30 spindles, and it came with the tilting and swivelling table.
I also discovered in the litterature I have, that Schaublin used to sell ultra-high precision boring heads for their '13. It happens to be that I already had one (made by the German manufacturer Kaiser. I got it from a SIP jig-borer).

I would have prefered a MT4 machine, but it was a good deal, so I didn't took too long to make up my mind.

The rapid feed mechanism doesn't seem to be so weak, but it is sure that the access to the feed motor is *really* limited... If I can remember, you have to tear the main motor and the feed box down to begin to see the feed motor !

If you're interested, you might want to chek that link, and you'll get the whole story of my machine.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000043#000000

T. NGUYEN BINH

Great find and a really nice clean up job. I admit I feel as you do about owning the machines. If I had space, money and time, I would own at least one of each of the great little machine tools. I didn't need the Schaublin but have always wanted a little horizontal mill and when I saw this one, I had to have it.

I would like to see pictures of it after you're finished as well as pictures of the ultra - high precision boring head.

I turned down the opportunity years ago to buy a Hardinge BB4 because I thought the guy wanted too much for it and it needed a little work but now I wish I had bought it and made it a project.

The guys are right about our hobby and what it costs us. By comparison to some hobbies it's cheap and I can pass all my machines on the my son and he will be able to use them for his lifetime.

Bernard

I have a 13 and use it regularly. It is the smoothest mill I have used in 30 years of machining. I also have a 12 that I may consider selling, the problem is the weight of the base is more than the machine and the shipping to the UK may be a bit scarry.I would be happy to send some picts. I also own an F1. I have never had a problem with the size of cut it would take but more to the point, it is not a machine for hogging, it is for delicate precision work, I don't think I have ever used a cutter bigger than 3/16". My problem is not breaking the tiny 1/32 cutters. The beauty of this machine is the feel, accuracy, range of accessories and versitility, not the size of the cut! This is my first post, go easy on me, hope to get more involved. Barry

I have never had a problem with the size of cut it would take but more to the point, it is not a machine for hogging, it is for delicate precision work
"it"= Schaublin 12, 13 or Deckel FP1 ? :confused:

Thanks for clairification, I was refering to the aciera F1. The 13 is quite capable of rather large smooth chatterless cuts.I was mostly supporting an earlier post of the gentleman with the aciera F2.

Back