What's new
What's new

Schaublin 135 belts and the dancing variator

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
I think I need to replace at least the lower belt on my 135. It spent a long time good and soaked with oil and seems kind of soft and cupped. I don't actually know this is an issue but something is amiss in the system and this seems like a good place to start looking. When the machine runs at higher speeds (basically anything in the high range) the variator starts oscillating back and forth along its rotation axis which is annoying and surely not good for all those new seals I put in there. The other theory is that the motor pulley is not aligned which puts some side load into the system. I did have the motor out but I don't think this is likely as I don't think there is much in the way of adjustment. I have experimented with various belt tensions but this doesn't seem to make much difference.

Also do I need to go to Schaublin for the belt or is there another source?

thanks

Luke

See if post #69 here is any help. It is for a specific commercial-off-the-shelf variator that Aciera used for the F5, and I think Weiler used on a lathe. The six bushings alluded to in the post seem to provide some damping to prevent oscillations. The damping is due to both grease in the assembly and the fact that the rods that slide in the bushings act like pistons in a shock absorber.

Luke!
Rüdiger Krämer has belts that he probably had made for use on the machines he refurbishes, he may possibly sellthem to other users. Otherwise Shaublin is the only source, I don’t think they are off- the shelf from any of the mayor belt brands. Expect around 2500 nok or 250 euros each via the swedish importer Ehn & Land.
Ole

Back