What's new
What's new

Schaublin 135 with inch pitch cross slide and tail stock

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
This machine keeps coming up with more surprises. I reinstalled the motor with a new brake did a few other things and now I have braking which is great. My new variator seals also appear to be working which is good. Not so great is that I did some test cuts getting ready to actually make some parts with this machine but I couldn't hit my target at all. Never occurred to me it is a freaking inch pitch cross slide. (0.0005 inches does not equal but it is kind of close 0.01mm) I feel officially like a total ass but in my defense I didn't know Schaublin ever made inch machines. I checked crossslide turned turned etc, not that it had the wrong number of divisions. The screw in the compound and the ball screw are normal (metric)

Does any inch loving schaublin 135 owner out there want to trade their metric for my inch cross-slide dial and screw? (also there is a low compound with inch marks and tail stock with inch marks and screw) I also have a pile of inch collets and the whole threading chart has the feeds in inches as well.

Ole, I seem to remember you have a conventional tailstock sitting around maybe we can work out something ... although the tail stock divisions aren't such a big deal.

I know I am not a very good american as I hate working with inches, but as I also live and work outside of the US it is practical as well as principle.

I thought I didn't need a DRO for this machine but I guess unless I happen to get lucky and find someone who wants to swap I need to go shopping. That kind of takes the fun out of finally getting a nearly getting the machine functional.

Newell, Heidenhain or something else I guess is the question.

for a laugh here is me (or at least the part that didn't fit inside) checking the voltage at the brake coil. It isn't quite so bad now that things are generally clean in there but still a rather cozy.

IMG_20170202_160158696.jpg

L

Luke
I understand that you are disappointed by finding imperial screws in a swiss lathe. On the other hand we really all use DROs, I myself could not live without them. You might even install a sensor on the topslide with the "rüdiger method" like I have. Just forget your disappointment, and it will go away. The tailstock on the other hand.. Well, I would consider selling the one I have, I never use it, and I probably never will. Come around and have a talk.
Ole

Luke

A DRO is nice, but having the correct screw and dial would be even nicer to me.

Assuming the crossslide screw assemblies are the same on the 135 and the 150, I can think about a poster in Italy who may have the parts you're looking for for sale... here
Given the mitigated welcome he got here, not sure he will show up spontaneously reading this post though !

Just a thought ;)

Thanks Ole, I will be in touch.

I have sent our Italian friend a message so we will see what he says.

A DRO is great to have but part of why we pay masses of money for theses machines is the accuracy of the screws etc. It seems to miss the point if I can't use them as designed. Don't suppose there are any dual inch/mm dials for these things. I had some on a mill I had in the States.
L

Yes, Tien, the smoked and toasted 150 - a good idea! I seem to remember that your crossfeed screw had some rust like many others, Luke. Do I remember correctly? If so it may be just good riddance.

Ole

Interesting.... I didn't know Schaublin made any inch machines until a few months ago when I bought an inch dialed 102N-VM... Even here in the USA, all my other larger Schaublins (have had three 135's, one 160, and one 13 mill) were all metric. I do have a 102N with inch compound but that was added later....it came with a metric one.

well it just keeps you up to speed on converting back and forth, i have done that lots, imperial machines doing metric parts, metric machines doing imperial parts.......
For the cost of new parts and relative ease to convert in your head it is not worth worrying about.
But thats me if your really got a bug in your bonnet go ahead make new bits or buy them if you can.

Back