What's new
What's new

Schaublin 135 Tool Organisation?

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
Curious what others do to organize their tool holders, collets etc with lathes like the 135. It shouldn't be a good against a wall and is a bit wide to reach over anyway. Being a solid base there is no room for swing out drawers.

I have collets close by in a swing out cabinet and a messy disaster on top of the machine with tool holders etc but it is far from ideal and I am always digging around trying to find something I just set down.

I have a shelf behind my 102 with a collet rack, chucks and tool holders which is great but that won't work well on this scale unless it is flying in space over the machine. Maybe I could use the rear t slots at the far end to support a structure that wouldn't get in the way.

Did Schaublin ever show any solutions?

Thanks
Luke

I have a dedicated roll around tool box with ball bearing drawer slides. 4 of the drawers are tall enough so I put some collet racks in 2 and they hold all my 5c collets, another has all my tool holders for the quick change and live centers, boring bar adapter sleeve, etc. The top 2 drawers are only about 2 inches tall and I have NC lathe tools and inserts in them along with the T handles for the various chucks that fit the lathe. the bottom drawer is fairly tall and I have the collet chucks and other bulky items in that one. One thing I will say is there is a lot in that tool box but it is all kept together which makes it easy to do a job.
Dan

I was thinking of something along this line but really don't have room for another toolbox in the workshop. I might just have to get out the shoehorn and see if I can get one in there.

I have a shelf behind my 102 with a collet rack, chucks and tool holders which is great but that won't work well on this scale unless it is flying in space over the machine.

I suppose you've already considered this, but could you mount such a rack or cabinet on something like a wide C-frame with one leg on each short side of the lathe? You could have the cabinet hanging above the lathe centerline, yet on drawer slides so it can be slid towards the back when you need clearance for a hoist to mount large work.

Back