What's new
What's new

Schaublin

collet

Plastic
In 1968 I rescued a Schaublin TO – 102 Toolmaker's Lathe and its accessories from going to a foundry following a factory fire. This was to be a project to rebuild this lathe which I finally got round to this year. The reconditioning has progressed to the point where it is bench mounted and ready to run, except that in the assembly I am missing the 3 Step Countershaft Vee Pulley, Bore 24 mm Diam. which is part of the Individual Drive part no. 102-96. 150.

Schaublin say they externally sourced this part and are not in a position to supply or give me the dimensions of this pulley. I am therefore seeking the root diameters of this part so that I can purchase a similar pulley and complete the assembly. Can someone help!

Like one of these?

rundriemenscheiben-4895651008.jpg

Look thru this guy's adverts: https://www.tutti.ch/inserent?o=5&id=9158130536409507313

He always has lots of old Schaublin parts, as you can also find on Ricardo.

In the end you will probably have to improvise, which according to your situation can be an improvement over the original factory offering.

Its hard to know exactly which pieces you may need. There were many variations of the 102-TO bench model and its drive. A picture is worth 1000 words.

You can calculate the needed root diameters from your desired spindle speeds, existing pulleys and motor rpm.

Welcome to the forum.

I think going with a single belt and a variable speed motor (3 phase with a VFD) would be my choice. I have a 1969 under mounted 102 if you need the sizes but it might be a day or two
Luke

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Countershaft Pulley.jpgCountershaft Pulley1.jpg

Thank you all for your replies. I now attach 2 images of the pulley which will add clarity to my search

Thank you jcandlish. Have checked out your very extensive website, but the pulley in question is not there to view, I have enclosed 2 pictures for your attention

Countershaft Pulley1.jpg

Thank you Whidbey for your help in this matter. Attached in the thread are 2 photos of the pulley in question. If your unit is similar to mine I would appreciate any information you could supply me in your own time. Thanks

For a fixed center distance, the diameters of the driven pulley will be fixed by the step sizes of the driving pulley.

Measure the driving pulley and then check the major dealers.

PM sent.

Thank you jCandish for your prompt reply. I was in touch with a major dealer 3 months ago for some parts for this lathe. He spoke with his contact in Schaublin. They were unable to provide the step sizes of the pulley in question as they sourced it externally.

it looks the same as the under drive version, i will be back in the workshop tomorrow and should be able to measure the pulleys.

Any idea what speed range your machine is supposed to have? (is there a plate with the speeds) I know there are some with two speed motors, back gears and other variations. Mine is what I think is s standard 3 by 3 (225rpm to 2500rpm)

L

There is no plate listing the spindle speeds. I can only quote from the catalogue for this lathe the table of speeds using a 2 speed motor 750/1500 rpm. The spindle speeds ranges from 115 to 2500 rpm. Your speed starting point of 220 rpm is available using the middle step of the driving pulley on my unit.

Hi Collet

I measured the step pulleys of this drive (just the OD of each step) :

20161210155957-f141819b-me.jpg

The driven pulley has step ODs 195, 163, 119 and the driving pulley has step ODs 50, 92, 141 mm.

Hi jCandlish,

My motor driving pulley is a match for the sizes you quoted. The diameters of your countershaft pulley will guide me in my search for the one I will seek. I thank you so much for your help and will let you know how I get on. I may have to compromise for what I can get.

Hi jCandlish,

Since my last reply to you I purchased a pulley I considered was the best option. This created the problem of finding the right vee belt to suit but to no avail. I considered reducing the diameters of two of the steps to suit but the cast pulley would not allow it. I decided to put the project on hold for a while.

Last week while making some space in the garage I came across a newspaper wrapping and on inspection I was taken aback to find the missing pulley with the belt for the grinding attachment. I cannot recall putting it away and you can imagine my joy in finding what I thought was always missing. I can now push on with the project on full steam ahead.

I made a pulley like that once, large dia 3 step. I cast aluminum into the basic cone shape in an open sand mold (literally a conical depression in a box of sand) and then it was straightforward turning. Not as easily as finding one in stock but, but quick cheap and cheerful. Anyway, just saying, you're not scuppered if its not out there commercially.

edit. just saw your last reply....guess its moot. Nothing left to do but get some photos up for us to see :)

Back